- submitted by Dahlia on 04-01-2012
(Creamy Soup in a bread bowl)
For the bread bowl
Round Bread - 2
Butter (melted) - 2 tblsp
For the soup
Onions - 1 cup (sliced lengthwise)
Cauliflower florets - 1 cup
Garlic - 2 cloves (minced)
Butter/ Olive oil - 2 tblsp
All Purpose Flour/ Corn Starch - 1 tblsp
Chicken/Vegetable Stock - 2 cups
Whole milk/ cream - 1 cup
Oregano - 1/4 tsp
Saffron strands - a pinch (soak it in the milk)
Salt - as needed
Pepper - as needed
To prepare the bread bowl
1. Cut the tops off the round bread, scoop off the centre to make a hollow bowl.
2. Brush the inside of the bread bowl with melted butter.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F and bake the bread bowls for about 20 minutes till it turns crispy.
To prepare the soup
1. Heat the butter/oil in a sauce pan and sauté the minced garlic for about 30 seconds.
2. Add the onions and cauliflower and sauté till both turn a little soft.
3. Now add the flour and mix for a minute.
4. Add the stock slowly and keep mixing it. Let the soup come to a boil.
5. Now add the oregano, saffron with milk, salt and pepper as needed.
6. After it boils, reduce the flame and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes till you get a thick creamy soup.
- Pour the hot soup into the crispy bread bowls and enjoy.
Serves - 2
- You can make other soups using the same recipe like onion soup, potato soup, corn soup, mushroom soup, chicken soup
or mixed vegetable soup