- Submitted by Dahlia on 13th Nov 2010
(Chettinadu Kozhi Saaru, Chicken/Mutton Rasam, South Indian Chicken Soup)
This south Indian style chicken soup is good for common cold. Chicken rasam is very easy and quick to make. It's is a very good combination for plain rice.
Recipe For Making Kozhi Rasam
Serves: 3 - 4
Chicken - 1/2 lb (bony pieces)
- Shallot onions - 5-8 (chopped)
Tomato - 1 (chopped or mashed up with hands)
- Green Chilly - 1
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken Masala - 1/2 tsp
Cilantro - 3 springs (chopped)
- Ingredients For Tempering
- Oil - 2 tbsp
Peppercorns - 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Red chilly - 1
- Garlic pods - 5 or 6
Curry Leaves - 5 leaves
- In a pressure cooker add the bony chicken pieces, onion, green chilly and tomato.
Add about 5-6 cups of water, salt and turmeric powder.
- Pressure cook for 7-8 whistles. We want the bones to break down and release all its essence.
- In the meantime, coarsely grind the ingredients under 'For Tempering' using the pulse mode. You can also use a motar and pestle to crush the ingredients.
- Heat oil in a small pan, add the coarsely ground masala and fry for a minute.
After the pressure goes down, open the cooker and turn on the heat.
- Add the tempering, chicken masala and chopped cilantro to the rasam.
Bring it to a boil and switch off. Serve it piping hot.
- Kozhi rasam is traditionally served with white rice.
- You can also have it as a soup. This is a very comforting dish on a cold winter day or when you have common cold.
- You can also make Mutton Rasam and Turkey (Vaankozhi) Rasam.
- For those who prefer the rasam with little sour taste, add a tbsp of lemon juice at the end.
More Chicken Recipes