- recipe by Monika Garg submitted on 11-08-2011
(Marinated Alu, Potatoes in yogurt gravy)
Here's one Himachal Recipe my mom-in-law taught me (she knows that I am not a skilled cook, so she teaches me all yummy but simple dishes )..
4 Boiled Alu (good to be mashed)
2 cup curd (Tangy)
1 Ripe Tomato
1 Large Onion
1-2 Garlic clove
Small Piece of ginger
2 cups of Buttermilk/chach
1 cup of water
Pinch of salt
Zeera/ Cumin Seeds
garam masala (Optional)
Turmeric/ Haldi Powder - to taste
Coriander Leaves, Green Chillies - To garnish
Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 3-4 people
1. Mix Boiled Potatoes with curd and add a pinch of salt and leave aside for 20 minutes. (Mashed potato in the mixture, should have odd sized lumps and curd should be used generously).
2. Grind tomato, onion, garlic and ginger into fine paste.
3. Chop corriander leaves and green chillies for garnishing.
4. Heat oil in a fairly deep pan and add cumin seeds. Add the paste (from step 2 ) as soon as they begin to crackle. Add turmeric powder, garam masala can be added here, but in small quantity, as it gives a darker color to the final dish. Let the content cook till golden brown.
5. Add the marinated potato (from step 1) to the golden brown paste and mix well in the same pan. Add salt (to taste).
6. Once the mashed potato is consistently covered in the condiments in the pan, add buttermilk / chach to it and add water.
7. Let the pan simmer on medium to low flame till the volume of the dish is reduced to almost half. This should take around 10 minutes.
8. Finally garnish the dish. Serve hot for best taste, though cold one also tastes equally good :)).
: The dish can be teamed with kachori, samosa, paratha, poori and even rice!
Dish Recipe - Mrs. Sudha Kapoor