- Submitted by Dahlia on 13th Oct 2010
(Vermicelli Idlis, Instant seviya idli, spaghetti idli)
- Thin Semiya (roasted & broken) - 2cups
Roasted Rava - 1 cup
Curd/yogurt - 2 cups
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil- 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
channa dal - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Curry Leaves- 4-5 (chopped)
Asafoetida - a pinch
- I usually buy roasted rava and roasted semiya. If you have the un-roasted one, then roast the rava and semiya till it turns slightly brown and gives a nice aroma. Break it into small pieces before you make the batter.
I have used thin semiya in this recipe. You can also substitute with thick semiya or pasta varieties (spaghetti, angel hair etc).
- Mix together the dry ingredients - semiya, rava, baking soda and salt.
- Mix the curd with it to form a thick batter. It should be thicker than normal idli batter. You can add 1 or 2 spoons of water if needed.
- Heat oil in a separate pan and fry the mustard seeds, channa dal and urad dal.
- When the dals turn golden brown, add the curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Add this tempering to the batter and mix well. You can also add any of the optional ingredients to the batter to make it more flavorful.
- Let the batter rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Grease idli plates and fill 3/4 th of the molds with the batter.
- Steam in a idli cooker or pressure cooker for 15-20 minutes.
- Let the idlis rest for 5 minutes before you remove them from the molds.
- Make the batter little more thinner and make semiya dosa with it.
- You can also make spaghetti idlis, angel hair dosa etc...
More Recipes With Vermicelli/Semiya/