- submitted by Dahlia on 01-08-2012
(Butter Cookies, Christmas Cookies)
All Purpose Flour (Maida) - 2 cups
Sugar - 1/2 cup (add little more if you like it sweeter)
Butter - 2 sticks (1/2 lb, 250 gms)
Salt - a pinch
Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
Egg - 1
Sprinkles, Coloured Sugar or Nuts- for garnish
1. Take the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix it together until it is light and creamy.
2. Break in the egg and add the vanilla extract. Mix it well.
3. Sift together the maida (flour) and salt into the above mixture.
4. Mix together with your hands or a wooden stick until everythings combines. Do not vermix.
5. Take the dough into a cookies press and press the cookies in desired shape onto an ungreased cookie sheet. (You can also add little food colour while making the cookie dough. I have added green food colour to make it look like christmas trees.)
6. Top it with coloured sugar or sprinkles or gently press in nuts.
7. Bake for 10 minutes in a 350 degree F oven or just until the edges start getting a light brown shade. The colour of the cookies should not change.
8. Cool the cookies on a wire rack completely before you enjoy them. You can store them at room temperature for about 10 days.
Spritz cookies decorated with white and red sugar ready to go into the oven