- submitted by Dahlia on 12-29-2009
(Eggless Walnut Cookies, Akhrot Nankhatai)
Maida (All Purpose Flour) - 1.5 cups
Rava - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1 cup
Butter/ Ghee - 1 cup (at room temperature)
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
Baking Powder - 1 tsp
Chopped Walnuts - 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup
1. Cream the butter and sugar together with a wodden stick or with an electric blender.
2. In a seperate bowl, mix together the maida, rava, 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts and baking soda.
3. Mix this with the creamed butter sugar mixture. Knead everything together to form a soft dough.
4. The butter should be just enough to make a soft dough. If needed add just 1 or 2 spoons of milk.
5. Pinch small balls out and shape it into small cookies. Press some more chopped nuts on top.
6. Alternatively, roll out the dough and cut out different shapes using a cookie cutter.
7. Bake it for 15 minutes in a 350 degree F oven.
8. The cookies will be very soft at this stage. Let it cool and harden for 15 minutes.
9. Enjoy the cookies with tea. Store in air tight containers for upto a month.
- Use other nuts like almonds, pistachios or cashews instead of walnuts.