- submitted by Dahlia on 09-10-2009
(Bell Pepper Tamarind Gravy, Kodamulagai Gojju, Capsicum Curry, Shimla Mirch ki Sabzi)
Capsicum (Bell Peppers) - 2 (I have used 1 green bell pepper and 1 red bell pepper)
Tomato - 1 (diced)
Garlic - 2 cloves (chopped)
Sambhar Powder - 1 tsp
Red Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Corriander Powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Tamarind Pulp - 1 tsp/ Tamarind - cherry size (soaked in 1/2 cup water)
Jaggery - a small piece (optional)
Salt - as needed
Oil - 2-3 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 spring
Asafoetida - a pinch
1. Heat the oil in a kadai and add the seasoning ingredients in the following order - mustard
seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves.
2. Add the chopped garlic cloves and fry for a minute.
3. Add the diced tomatoes and capsicum. Add little salt, cover and let it cook till the
veggies turn soft (about 5 minutes).
4. Add the turmeric powder, chilly powder, corriander powder and sambhar powder and fry for 30 seconds.
5. Next add the tamarind juice and jaggery (optional). Check for salt and cover it with a lid.
6. Let the whole thing cook for about 10 minutes.
7. Yummy gojju is ready to be served with steaming white rice or with chappatti.
- You could also make katharikai gojju
) and tomato gojju
in a similar way.
- You can also make plain tamarind gojju
without adding any vegetables.