- submitted by Dahlia on 05-12-2008
(Cauliflower Kurma, Gobi Curry, Dahi Gobhi)
Cauliflower - 1 (seperated into florets)
Green Peas - 1 cup (optional)
Onion - 1 big or 2 small (sliced lengthwise or chopped)
Green Chilly - 2
Tomato - 2-3 (finely chopped or pureed)
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Corriander Powder - 1 tblsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4
Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Whole garam masala - (1 cinnamon, 2-3 cloves, 1 star anise, 3 cardomon, fennel seeds)
Coconut milk/ Yogurt - 1 cup
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tblsp
Curry leaves - 5
Cilantro - for garnish
Cauliflower cooked with beaten yogurt
1. Separate the cauliflower into florets and soak in hot salted water for 5 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pan, splutter some cumin seeds, whole garam masala and curry leaves.
3. Fry the onions and green chilly till it turns golden brown. Saute the ginger garlic paste for another minute.
4. Add the tomato puree and cook it for 5 minutes. Add the dry masala powders i.e chilly powder, corriander powder, turmeric powder and salt.
5. Add the cauliflower florets and green peas. Saute for a minute.
6. Add the coconut milk or beaten yogurt to this.
In South India, coconut milk is added and it is called 'Cauliflower Kurma
'. In North India, mostly yogurt is added and it is called 'Dahi Gobhi
7. Add more water if you want more gravy. Bring it to a boil.
8. Reduce the flame, cover with a lid and let the gravy simmer till the oil separates.
8. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Cauliflower cooked with coconut milk
- This curry goes very well with chappatti or any other kinds of roti.
- It can also be served with pulao, idli or dosa.