- Submitted by Dahlia
(Cauliflower Thayir Kurma, Gobi ki Sabzi, Dahi wali Gobhi)
During winters, it is a very common sight to see road side vendors selling big heads of cauliflowers. I like to buy often and make different dishes like cauliflower fry, bhurjee, manchurian etc. This cauliflower curry also known as Dahi Gobhi is also popular in Northern India served with roti and rice. Cauliflower cooked with yogurt and spices makes this a tasty dish.
I love the simplicity of making this dish. It takes very little time and does not require much grinding and chopping. The final dish will also be enjoyed by everyone.
Recipe for Dahi Gobhi
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Cauliflower - 1 medium sized (about 1/4 kg)
- Green Peas - 1/2 cup (optional)
- Beaten Curd - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 (chopped)
- Green Chillies - 2
- Tomato - 2-3 (finely chopped or pureed)
- Ginge & garlic - 2 tsp (paste or grated)
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Carom Seeds (Ajwain) - 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2
- Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp
- Beaten Yogurt - 1 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Cilantro - for garnishing
- Separate the cauliflower into medium sized florets and soak in hot salted water for 5 minutes. This will kill any small worms that may be present between the florets.
- Drain the water and spread the florets in a clean towel to dry.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter some mustard seeds, cumin seeds and carom seeds (ajwain).
- Fry the onions and green chillies till it turns golden brown.
- Saute the grated ginger and garlic (or ginger garlic paste) for a minute.
- Add the tomato puree and cook it for about 5 minutes.
- Add the dry masala powders i.e red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Add the cauliflower florets and green peas. Saute for a minute. Add about 1/2 cup water, cover and cook for 5-7 minutes till the vegetables are tender.
- Reduce the heat and add the beaten yogurt to this. Keep mixing to prevent curdling.
- Reduce the flame and let the gravy simmer for few minutes.
- Finally add the garam masala powder and chopped coriander leaves. Switch off. Tasty curry is ready to serve.
Serving Dahi Gobhi
- This curry goes very well with chappati, puri, laccha paratha or any other kinds of roti.
- It can also be served with jeera pulao or white rice.
More Cauliflower Recipes