- submitted by Dahlia on 06-29-2009
(Bhuna Murg, Kerala Roast, Kozhi Varuval)
Whole Chicken - 1 medium sized (cut into 20-25 pieces with bones in)
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tblsp
Chilly Powder - 2 tsp
Paprika - 1 tblsp (This gives a nice colour without increasing the spice)
Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp (optional)
Lemon Juice - 2 tblsp
Salt - as needed
Curry Leaves - 2-3 springs (keep the leaves whole or tear it with hands)
Oil - for deep frying
1. Cut the chicken into lemon sized pieces and wash it nicely.
2. Mix the chicken with lemon juice, ginger garlic paste, salt and pepper powder.
3. Let this rest and marinate for atleast half an hour. Overnight marination will be good.
4. In a seperate bowl mix together the chilly powder, paprika, garam masala and turmeric powder.
5. Add some lemon juice/ water with this powder and make a nice paste.
6. Rub this paste nicely over all the chicken pieces. Also mix in the curry leaves with the chicken pieces.
7. In the meantime, heat oil in a kadai for deep frying.
8. Deep fry the chicken pieces in batches until it is completely cooked. It may take 10-12 minutes for each batch.
9. Remove and drain the excess oil in paper towel. Serve with biriyani or any variety rice.