- Submitted by Dahlia on 5th Jun 2008
(Katharikai Varuval, Begun Bhaja, Bengali Brinjal Fry)
Eggplant/Brinjal fry is a very famous preparation in most parts of India. However, it is particularly popular in Bengal where it is known as Begun Bhaja. It has very few spices added to highlight the eggplant flavor. The marinated eggplant roundels can be pan fried or grilled. You will be amazed at how this simple preparation gives such a fantastic output. You should try it out to believe.
- Eggplant (Brinjal) - 1 (Very Big)
- Chilly powder - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Garam masala - a pinch (optional)
Salt - as needed
- Lemon - 1/2
Oil - as needed (preferably mustard oil)
Cut the eggplant into thin circles.
- Season the eggplant circles with the above seasonings.
Shallow fry the eggplant in a griddle.
- Flip the eggplant when once side browns.
When both the sides are browned, remove from griddle and add few drops of lemon juice on top.
More Eggplant (Brinjal) Recipes