- Submitted by Dahlia on 30th Oct 2007
(Kerala Fish Curry, Kanyakumari Fish Curry, South Indian Fish Curry, Meen Kulambu, Meen Curry, Machli Ki Curry)
Ingredients - 1
Coconut (grated) - 1/4 cup
- Pearl Onions - 4-5
- Garlic Cloves - 3
- Curry leaves - 4 leaves
- Red chilly - 3
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Ingredients - 2
- Fish fillets -2 (cut into pieces)
- Tomato - 1 (diced or crushed)
- Tamarind juice - ¼ cup
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves - 4
- Green chilly - 1
- Mustard - ¼ tsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Fenugreek Seeds - ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida powder - ¼ tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Cilantro /Coriander leaves - for garnish
- Optional (Split drumstick or pieces of raw mango can be added along with fish fillets)
- Take a skillet and heat some oil in it. Now fry all the ingredients from batch-1.
- Once the aroma starts coming, remove it from fire and let it cool. After it cools, grind everything together with some water to form a very fine paste and keep aside.
- Now take a clay pot or deep vessel, heat some oil, splutter mustard, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- Now add the tamarind juice,chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, tomatoes, salt, asafoetida powder along with the ground masala and bring it to a boil.
- Add the fish fillets, cover and cook for 10 minutes on low-medium flame. The fish fillets are cooked when they become opaque and soft.
- Garnish with fresh curry leaves, cilantro and split green chilly and serve hot.
- Split drumstick and pieces of raw mango can be added along with fish fillets.
- For increasing the flavor, let the fish curry simmer in a low flame for 15-20 minutes. Let it rest for 2 hours before serving. This will enable all the juices to be absorbed into the fish pieces.
- Serve the spicy fish curry with plain rice along with fried fish or vegetable side dish
More Fish Recipes