- Submitted by Dahlia on 16th May 2008
(Fish Chops, Fish Croquettes, Fish Patties, Fish Cakes)
Fish fillets - 3-4
- Onion - 1/2 (grated)
- Garlic - 3 cloves (grated)
- Ginger - 1"slice (grated)
- Egg - 2
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Bread Crumbs - 1/2 cup
- Cilantro - handful (finely chopped)
- Oil - for frying
Take water in a pan and bring it to a boil. Add the fish fillets to the water and let it cook nicely (till the fish turns opaque).
- Remove the fish from the water and shred it into small pieces.
Heat oil in a small skillet and saute the onions, ginger and garlic in it till the raw smell vanishes.
- Add the shredded fish to it along with garam masala, salt, chilly powder , cumin powder and cilantro.
- Keep stirring the mixture until it becomes very dry. This is essential for the cutlets to bind together very well.
Once the above mixture is cool enough to handle, add one raw egg to it. Mix everything nicely with hands. (The egg is mainly used for binding. You can also use a handful of cooked rice or a boiled and mashed potato instead.)
- Beat another egg in a bowl.
Make small round balls out of the cutlet mixture and shape it into patties. You can make any shape - round, oval, heart shape, cylindrical etc.
- Dip the patties in the beaten egg then coat it with bread crumbs. Now you can deep fry, shallow fry or bake these cutlets.
Serve the hot fish cutlets with ketchup or any hot sauce.
- You can add any vegetables of your choice to the cutlet mixture to enrich its nutritional value.
More Fish Recipes