- submitted by Dahlia on 10-31-2008
(Green Leafy Vegetables cooked with Beans or Lentils)
The combination of greens and beans take the leafy vegetables to a whole new level. Even people who do not like green leafy vegetables will love it when any dry beans is combined with it. You can use your own imagination and combine different greens and beans. Using different combinations and with the same recipe you can make several different sabzis like spinach green peas sabzi, cabbage kala chana sabzi, brussels sprouts channa sabzi, cabbage green peas sabzi, collard greens channa sabzi, swiss chard channa sabzi, methi matar sabzi, cauliflower green peas sabz
etc etc. The best part about combining the greens and beans is that it goes very well with both rice and any roti varieties.
Beans (Any whole/split beans
) - 1/2 cup
(Chik Peas, Black Chik Peas, Green Peas, Lentils, Kidney Beans, White Beans, Butter Beans etc
Greens (Any leafy vegetable
) - 2 cups
(Cabbage, Spinach, Turnip greens, Swiss Chard, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower, Broccoli etc
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Fresh grated coconut - 2 tblsp
Green Chillies - 3-4
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida - a pinch
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard Greens with Lentils
1. Soak the beans in enough water overnight. You can use chick peas, black chick pea, green peas, rajma, any type of lentils or any other beans.
2. Cook the beans with enough water until the beans is soft. You can pressure cook or cook it normally.
3. Drain the water and reserve it for any other gravies.
4. Heat oil in a pan and fry the mustard seeds.
5. Add the chopped greens (vegetable), turmeric powder and asafoetida.
6. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes until the greens are cooked.
7. Grind together the coconut, cumin seeds and green chillies.
8. Add this to the cooked greens along with required salt.
9. Also add the cooked beans at this stage. Open the lid and stirfry till you get a dry sidedish.
- This goes very well with rice and rasam, mor kulambu or pulikulambu.
- The addition of beans also makes it an apt sidedish for chappatti.
Kala Channa Cabbage Sabzi
Palak Matar Sabzi
Cauliflower Greenpeas Sabzi