- submitted by Dahlia on 03-26-2009
Basmati Rice - 2 cups (soaked for atleast 10 minutes and drained)
Onions - 2 (chopped)
Tomato - 1 (chopped)
Green Chillies - 5-6 (chopped)
Ginger garlic Paste - 1 tblsp
Coconut Milk diluted with water - 1.5 cups
Chicken Stock - 1.5 cup
Yogurt - 1/2 cup
Mint Leaves (Pudhina) - handful
Cilantro (Corriander Leaves) - handful
Whole Garam Masala - (2 Bay Leaf, 4 cloves, 2 cinnamon sticks, 3 Cardamom, 1 Star Anise)
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds - 1 tsp (crushed)
Saffron Strands - 2 pinches (you could also use kesari powder or orange food colour instead)
Butter/Ghee/Oil - 2-3 tblsp
Salt - as needed
1. Heat the oil/butter/ghee in a pan and add the whole garam masala to it.
2. Splutter the cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
3. Saute the onions and green chillies for 10 minutes followed by ginger garlic paste for another 1 minute.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes, finely chopped cilantro and mint leaves and cook for few minutes.
5. Add the yogurt, coconut milk, chicken stock and salt and bring it to a boil.
6. Add the soaked rice and bring it to a boil once again.
7. Reduce the flame to low, cover and cook till the rice is completely done.(app. 25 minutes)
8. Soak the saffron strands in 1 tblsp of milk and drizzle it over the cooked rice.
9. Fluff up the rice with a fork, garnish with cilantro, fried onions or chopped nuts.
10.Khuska Biryani is ready to serve. Serve with some spicy curry and raita
. This dish infact goes well with any kind of sidedish
- You could also transfer the ingredients to a pressure cooker(2 whistles) or rice cooker and cook it.
See other biryani recipes.