- submitted by Dahlia on 03-10-2009
(Paneer Makhani, Paneer Makhanwala, Indian Cheese Curry, Paneer Kurma)
Recipe for Paneer Butter Masala
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Paneer - 1/2 lb (250 gms) Onion - 1 big/2 small (chopped)
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tbsp
- Tomato - 3 small/ 2 big (blanched and pureed)
- Cashew Paste - 2 tbsp
- Chilly Powder - 2 tsp (or to taste)
- Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Kasoori Methi (dry) - 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds (Shahi Jeera) - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 2-3 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Orange-red food colour - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Heavy Cream (Fresh Cream) - 1/4 cup
- Cilantro - for garnish (finely chopped)
- Heat little oil in a pan, and saute the onions till it sweats and cooks nicely. You need not brown it.
- Let it cool nicely and then puree the mixture.
- In a different pan, melt the butter and splutter some cumin seeds.
- Add the onion puree to this and fry for few minutes.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for another minute.
- Add the turmeric powder, tomato puree, cashew paste, kasoori methi, chilly powder and coriander powder.
- Reduce the flame and let the mixture cook for 5 minutes.
- Add about a cup of water, food colour and required salt and let the gravy come to a boil.
- Add the garam masala powder, paneer cubes and the heavy cream/evaporated milk and let the whole gravy cook for another 5 minutes till all the flavours blend together.
- Garnish with finely chopped cilantro or fresh cream.
- You can fry the paneer cubes before adding to the gravy.
- To reduce the calories, you could add evaporated milk or fat free half and half or fat free milk instead of heavy cream. In that case do not add water.
Serving Paneer Butter Masala
More Paneer Recipes