- submitted by Dahlia on 03-10-2009
(Paneer Makhani, Paneer Makhanwala, Indian Cheese Curry, Paneer Kurma)
Paneer Butter Masala is also known as Paneer Makhani or Paneer Makhanwala is a punjabi dish which is in high demand in Indian retaurants all over the world. Indian cottage cheese is also known as paneer. In this dish, paneer is cooked in the silky, creamy makhani sauce. This sauce is made with a blend of tomatoes, cashews and cream.
Recipe for Paneer Butter Masala
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Paneer - about 200 gms
- Onion - 1 big
- Ginger - 1 tbsp (chopped)
- Garlic - 1 tbsp (chopped)
- Tomato - 3
- Cashew nuts - 1/4 cup
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder - 2 tsp (or to taste)
- Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Kasoori Methi (Dry Fenugreek Leaves) - 1 tsp
- Butter - 3 tbsp
- Orange-red food colour - 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Salt - to taste
- Heavy Cream (Fresh Cream) - 1/4 cup
- Cilantro - for garnish (finely chopped)
- Heat the butter in a pan/ kadai, and add the roughly chopped onions, ginger and garlic.
- Next add the chopped tomatoes.
- Also add some cashew nuts and 1-2 tbsp of water. Saute this for couple of minutes.
- Cover and cook until everything becomes tender.
- Switch off, let it cool completely and then puree the mixture. This is the basic makhani sauce. I usually prefer to pass this sauce through a strainer to have a smooth gravy.
- In a different pan, melt some butter. Add the red chili powder to the butter and fry for about 10 seconds. Adding the chili powder to the butter directly gives a bright color to the gravy. You do not have to add any additional food color.
- Add the prepared makhani sauce. Add additional water if needed. Bring it to a boil.
- Add the paneer cubes. Also add the turmeric powder, coriander powder and required salt.
- Reduce the flame and let the mixture cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the fresh cream to the curry. Add some garam masala powder.
- Rub the fenugreek leaves between your palm and add it to the curry. Let the whole gravy cook for another 5 minutes till all the flavours blend together.
- Garnish with finely chopped cilantro or fresh cream.
- You can fry the paneer cubes before adding to the gravy.
- To reduce the calories, you could add evaporated milk or fat free half and half or fat free milk instead of heavy cream. In that case do not add water.
Serving Paneer Butter Masala
More Paneer Recipes