- recipe by Eliza submitted on 05- 25-2008
(Green Peas Kurma, Aloo Matar)
Dried green peas -1 cup (soaked for 5 hours)
Cinnamon- 1 inch
Onion- 1 chopped
Tomato- 1 chopped
Ginger and garlic paste- 11/2 tblsp
Chili powder - 1 tblsp(or to taste)
Coriander powder -1 tblsp
Fennel seeds (sombu) - 1/2 tblsp (powdered)
Coconut milk - 1/2 cup (optional)
Potato -1 peeled and cubed.
Oil for Cooking
Turmeric -1/4 tsp
Cilantro –1 handful Chopped
1. Pressure cook the soaked green peas with required salt and cook it for 10 min on high.
2. Heat the kadai add oil to it.
3. Add the cinnamon stick and the cloves, sauté it with onion until the onion becomes translucent.
4. Add tomato together with GG paste, chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder.
5. Add the cubed potato and sauté it and cover it with a lid along with little water.
6. When the potato is ¾ cooked add the cooked peas and let it boil for few minutes.
7. Add the sombu (fennel) powder.
8. Add coconut milk and let it cook on low flame for couple minutes. Check for seasonings and add more salt if needed.
9. Serve it with Chapatti or Rice.
It tastes different than the frozen peas.