- submitted by Dahlia on 02-27-2008
(Kadalai Muttai, Peanut Brittle, Moongphali Chikki)
Peanuts - 1 cup (roasted)
Sugar/Jaggery/Brown sugar - 3/4 cup
Cardomon Powder - 1/4 tsp
1. Melt the sugar/brown sugar in a non-stick pan till it turns honey brown in color.
2. Crush the peanuts and add it to the melted sugar with a pinch of cardomon powder.
3. Put this mixture immediately into a greased plate or tray.
4. Spread it to the desired thickness using a rolling pin.
5. Immedietly cut it with a greased knife.
6. After it cools, separate the pieces and store in air tight containers.
- You can make the same chikkis with sesame seeds, cashews and other nuts too.
- When the mixture is cool enough to handle you can make small balls out of it. This is called Kadalai urundai (Peanut balls). It is usually made during the tamil festivals Kaarthigai Deepam.