- recipe by Elizabeth submitted on 02-01-2008
(Uthappam Varieties, Oothappam, Indian Pizza)
Uthappam is a thick pancake made with regular dosa batter topped with different vegetables and pan fried. The choice of vegetables could be onion, tomato, carrot, cilantro, idli podi, beetroot, spinach, capsicum, cabbage, cheese or mixed vegetables. I have already shared the recipe for onion uthappam in detail.
Here I have shared a few more dosa ideas. It is very colorful, attractive and healthy for the kids. It is important to make each meal as nutritious as possible in order for you to lead a healthy life style.The addition of vegetables makes the regular dosai more healthy and at the same time tasty. You can make this as a simple breakfast or dinner. Kids also enjoy small sized dosas, so I like to make them as mini ones. My friend Raji has also shared the recipe for mini assorted adai dosai.
I also like to make these varieties of mini uthappams for parties or get together. You can make 6-8 mini uthappams at one time using an electric griddle or a stove top griddle. Since it is thicker than regular dosa, it stays softer for long period. Each person gets to choose their favorite dosa and the presentation looks colorful too.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time: 3 minutes per uthappam
- Chop all the vegetables and keep it ready. Also take sufficient amount of idli-dosa batter and keep it ready. You do not have to add water to the batter as we need thick batter for this.
- Heat a pan on medium flame. Pour a ladle of dosa batter and spread it lightly. Do not make it very thin.
- Sprinkle some chopped onions to cover the entire dosa. You have to add the topping as soon as you spread the batter so that the topping gets stuck to the dosa.
- Spray with little cooking oil on all sides or drizzle some oil around the edges. For non stick pan, little cooking spray is sufficient to make low calorie dosas. If you want the tradtional crispy taste, drizzle little extra oil or ghee.
- Let it cook for a min or so before flipping so that the bottom will be slightly browned.
- Flip it carefully and cook the other side for another 1/2 a minute. Remove it from the pan and serve immediately or store in a hot box (casserole).
- Repeat the same process with carrot topping and idli chutney powder topping. You can try the same with chopped frozen spinach, grated beetroot, chopped tomatoes or chopped cilantro. You can also add cheese or beaten egg as topping along with the veggies to make it more tasty.
- All these varieties of dosa/ uthappam goes well with hot sambhar and different chutneys.
- Kids can enjoy it with some tomato ketchup.
Other Dosa and Idli Recipes