- Submitted by Dahlia on 29th Sep 2008
(White Cake with Mandarin Oranges, Simple Sponge Cake, Fresh Cream Cake)
- All Purpose Flour(Maida) or Cake Flour - 1 1/2 cup
Butter(room temp) - 1/2 stick (1/4 cup)
- Sugar - 1 cup
Egg Whites - 2
- Baking Powder - 1/2 tblsp
Vanilla Essence - 1/2 tsp
- Cold Soda/Water/Milk - 3/4 cup
- Mandarin Oranges - 1 tin
Cream - 200gms (7 oz)
- Jam - 2tbsp (optional)
Powdered sugar - 4 tbsp
- Almonds - 1 cup (sliced)
- Beat the egg whites until it is stiff.
- Beat the butter and the sugar together.
Sift the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Mix the dry and the wet ingredients.(butter, sugar, flour and baking soda).
Add the soda/water/milk and vanilla essence and mix everything well.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites gently with the above batter.
Grease a cake pan and add the batter to it.
- Bake it in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes.
Prick the cake using a toothpick to see if the cake is ready. If the cake is ready the toothpick will come out clean.
- If done take it out of the oven and cool it nicely before applying the frosting. (I made 2 cakes to layer and apply frosting)
- Whisk together the cream using a whisk or using a hand blender until stiff peaks are formed.
Mix the icing sugar and vanilla essence to this to make the frosting.
- Place one cake on a cake stand or a tray.
Sprinkle few drops of the liquid from the mandarin orange can.
- Apply some frosting all over the cake then sprinkle some orange pieces and almond pieces.
Now place the second cake on top.
- Optionally, apply some jam on the outer section of the whole cake.
Apply rest of the frosting on the top and sides of the cake.
- Decorate the sides of the cake with sliced almonds and the top of the cake with fruits.
Other Cake Recipes