- Submitted by Dahlia on 14th Oct 2011
This simple nadan beef stew is a popular stew made in Kerala. It has a unique taste which comes from the cooking of beef with coconut milk. Beef is pressure cooked and then added to the mild coconut milk sauce spiced with green chilies and flavored with some whole spices. It is an excellent combination with palappam.
Recipe For Beef Stew
Beef - 1 lb (1/2 kg)
- Potato - 1 big / 2 small ones
- Onion - 1 big (sliced)
- Ginger - 2 tsp (minced)
- Garlic - 2 tsp (minced)
- Green Chilies - 10-15 (sliced)
- Coconut Milk - 1 cup
- Whole Garam Masala - 2" piece cinnamon, 4 cloves, 2 cardamom, 1 bay leaf
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 2 springs
- Salt - to taste
- Coconut Oil - 2 tbsp
- Wash and cut the beef into small cubes.
- Cut the potatoes also in the same size.
- Pressure cook the beef and potatoes together with some salt, water and 1/4 cup coconut milk till the beef becomes tender.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add the whole garam masala and fennel seeds.
- Add 1 spring of curry leaves, minced garlic, ginger, sliced green chilies and onions.
- Saute for few minutes. Do not brown it.
- Add the pressure cooked beef and potatoes along with the liquid.
- Add the coconut milk, pepper powder and garam masala.
- After the stew boils, reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Finally add 1 tbsp of oil and 1 spring of curry leaves and switch off. Beef stew is ready to be served.
This tastes best with appam, idiyappam or white sandwich bread.
- It also goes well with chapatti, parotta or dosa.
- Last but not the least, it can served as a stew by itself.
Try with other meat to make chicken stew or mutton stew.
- You can also add some other vegetables like carrots, peas etc to the stew.
More Beef Recipes