- Submitted by Dahlia
(Kudamilagai Sadam, Variety Rice with Capsicum)
Today I am going to share a recipe which I recently learnt from one of my friend that she made for our quarterly potluck. Many a times, I feel how nice it would be for one day, if I just did not have to cook and someone else cooks and serves me something mouthwatering and tasty. It is one of those days when I miss my mother’s pampering towards me. Now, these days, I find a similar sort of solace when we have our get together. Thank you friends, all of you make my life beautiful. In our last get together, my friend Gayathri made this yummy, colorful and easy one pot rice meal using all the varieties of capsicum. The spicy and flavorful capsicum rice accompanied with onion raita was just amazing and out of the world. The flavor of capsicum along with the crunchiness of cashews or peanut is loved across all age groups. It also makes to be an excellent option for a lunch box recipe for children since it is easy to make in busy mornings and it is so colorful that children will finish their boxes to the last bite. Pack this yummy dish to school this week and watch your kids drool over you completely.
Recipe for Capsicum (Bell Pepper) Rice
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- Rice - 2 cups
- Capsicum (Bell Pepper) - 2 (chopped/sliced) - (I've used 1/2 of each colored bell pepper - green, orange, yellow and red)
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cashew Nuts (or Peanuts) - 1 tbsp
- Oil/Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Cilantro - handful (finely chopped)
- Coriander Seeds - 1 tbsp
- Urad Dal - 1 tbsp
- Dry Red Chilies - 4 (or as needed)
- Curry Leaves - 1 spring
- Grated Coconut - 1.5 tbsp (You can also use 1 tbsp of Sesame Seeds instead)
- Cook the rice separately. Spread it in a tray and let it cool.
- Dry roast all the ingredients under 'To Powder'. Cool it and make a powder.
- Heat ghee in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cashew nuts (or peanuts) and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped capsicum pieces and saute till it becomes little soft.
- Add the spice powder, turmeric powder and required salt. Fry for a minute.
- Add the cooked rice and fry everything together till each rice grain is nicely coated with the spice powder.
- Check and adjust the salt and other seasonings. Switch off.
- Garnish with finely chopped cilantro and sliced colorful bell peppers. Serve with raita and papad.
Detailed Steps to make Capsicum Rice
Slice the capsicum into thin slices. Other option for picky eaters is to chop it very finely. I usually prefer to use different colored peppers for a good eye appeal.
Cook the rice separately. It should not get overcooked but each rice grain should have a bite to it. Spread it in a tray and let it cool.
Take all the ingredients for roasting - coriander seeds, dry red chilies, urad dal, curry leaves and grated coconut in a heavy bottomed pan.
Dry roast in medium low flame until it turns golden brown and a nice aroma comes out. Cool it and make a powder.
Heat ghee in a pan, pop the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cashew nuts (or peanuts) and curry leaves.
Add the chopped capsicum pieces and saute till it becomes little soft.
Add the spice powder, turmeric powder and required salt. Fry for a minute.
Add the cooked rice and fry everything together to coat each rice with the spice powder.
Reduce the flame to low and cover with a lid. Cook it like this for another 2-3 minutes so that the flavors can blend together
Check and adjust the seasonings if needed. Switch off, garnish with finely chopped cilantro and sliced colorful bell peppers.
Serving Capsicum Rice
- This rice has so much flavor by itself, it can be served with some raita and potato chips.
- It also goes very well with any non veg and veg side-dishes.
More Capsicum (Bell Pepper) Recipes