- Submitted by Eliza
(Green beans or Cluster Beans or French Beans or Broad Beans with crumbled lentils)
Jump to recipe ↓
Beans Paruppu Usili is a traditional Brahmin preparation that is commonly made with french beans, cluster beans, broad beans, banana flower and cabbage. This forms part of all Brahmin wedding menu.
Today I will share the recipe of Beans Usili which can be made with any type of green beans like french beans, cluster beans (kothavarangai), broad beans (avarakkai) or long beans (karamani). Its also a great dish to make when you have guests at home. If you make side dishes like beans poriyal, it is very time consuming to chop up a huge quantity of the vegetable but the final product may not be that impressive. The addition of lentils not only increases the quantity of the dish but also its taste.
Here I have used cluster beans but it can be made with all types of green beans. Try this recipe with your favorite beans and enjoy.
Recipe For Beans Paruppu Usili
Preparation time: 15 minutes + 30 minutes soaking
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Cluster Beans - 1/2 lb (chopped) (You can also use any other type of beans like green beans, french beans, broad beans or long beans)
- Channa dal (Kadalai Paruppu, Bengal Gram Dal) - 1/4 cup
- Tur dal (Tuvaram Paruppu, Red Lentils) - 1/4 cup
- Dried Red chilies - 2 or 3
- Green chili - 1
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Asafoetida (Hing, Perungayam) - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Wash and soak both the dals together for 30-60 minutes.
- Grind it coarsely along with green chili, red chilies, asafoetida and salt. Some people also like to add 1/4 tsp of fennel seeds while grinding.
- Wash and trim the edges of the beans. Chop it into small pieces.
- Cook it with some water, turmeric powder and salt in a pot. You can also microwave it for about 7-8 minutes till it becomes tender.
- In the mean time, make small balls out of the ground dal mixture and steam them in idli plates for about 15 minutes. Alternatively, you can roast it in the kadai till it crumbles up but it takes at least 20-30 minutes.
- After it cools, crumble them with your hands or using a mixie. I prefer using a mixie as it yield a smooth and uniform texture to the crumbles. You can make a big batch of these crumbles and freeze a portion of it for later use. It stays good in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Heat oil in a kadai and splutter the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the crumbled dal and roast it for a few minutes.
- Next, add the cooked beans and mix everything together.
- Switch off. Tasty Beans Parupu Usili is ready to be served.
- Serve the beans parupu usili with white rice and some curry. It can also be served as a side for chapatti or as a salad.
- It goes well with curries which have no lentils like mor curry, rasam, kaara kulambu, vattral kulambu or puli kulambu.
More Green Beans Recipes