- Submitted by Dahlia
Jump to recipe ↓
My love for grilled food started in US when we had an outdoor grill in our apartment. During summers, we enjoyed grilling 2-3 times a week. Kebabs are one such thing that I loved. We made chicken kebabs, paneer kebabs and beef kebabs. After settling down in India, we continued to grill often in out convectional oven and in our stove top griddle.
Today I am sharing my recipe for Beef Kebab. As compared to chicken, beef needs to be marinated for long hours to make it juicy and tender. In India, beef is usually harder than the ones in US. You need to cook it longer accordingly.
Recipe for Beef Kebab
Preparation time: 15 minutes (and 24 hours of marination time)
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Beef - 1.5 lb (about 3/4 kg)
- Oil - 1/2 cup
- Soy Sauce - 1/2 cup
- Worcestershire Sauce - 2 tbsp
- Lemon Juice - 2 tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves (minced)
- Crushed Black Pepper - 1 tsp
- Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum) - 2 (cut into big chunks)
- Onion - 2 (cut into squares)
- Salt - to taste
- Other ingredients to skewer (Cauliflower, Paneer, Mushrooms, Pineapple) - as needed
- Metal (or wooden) skewers
- Wash the beef thoroughly and dry it completely by spreading in a plate.
- Take the oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, little salt and crushed black pepper in a bowl. Whisk it together.
- Add the beef chunks to this marinade. All the pieces should be coated completely.
- Let this marinate for 24 hours in the refrigerator. This step is very crucial to make the beef tender. If the beef is not properly marinated, it won't be soft while grilling.
- In the last one hour, chop the veggies that you plan to add in big chunks. Add them to the same bowl so that the marinade coats the veggies.
- Thread the marinated meat and the veggies alternatively to the skewers.
- Heat the griddle and arrange the skewers. Cook it for about 15 minutes, turning them often so that it cooks evenly all around. Once in a while, apply the remaining marinade on the meat using a brush so that the meat stays moist. If the meat is harder, cook it a little longer.
- After it is cooked, let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Detailed steps to make Beef Kebab
Wash the meat thoroughly and dry it.
Take the oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, little salt and crushed black pepper in a bowl. Whisk it together.
Add this marinade to the beef chunks. Mix well.
Let this marinate overnight or for 24 hours in the refrigerator. This step is very crucial to make the beef tender.
Finally, chop the veggies that you plan to add. Add them to the same bowl so that the marinade coats the veggies. I have used capsicum, onion, cauliflower and pineapple.
Thread the marinated meat and veggies alternatively to the skewers. Leave some space in between so the meat cooks on all sides.
Arrange the skewers on a preheated stove top griddle or in the grill rack of your OTG or convectional oven.
Cook it for about15 - 30 minutes, turning them often so that it cooks evenly all around. Apply the remaining marinade on the meat using a brush so that the meat stays moist.
After it is cooked, let it rest for 5 minutes before serving. I served it over some pulav.
Enjoy tasty, juicy kebabs.!
Serving Beef Kebabs
I served with some pulav and gravy. I also love to serve it with naan, chapathi, pita bread or kulcha. You can apply some spread like mayonnaise and stuff the kebab inside, roll it and enjoy.
It can also be served as an appetizer with some mint chutney or mayonnaise.
More Roti Recipes