- Submitted by Dahlia
Jump to recipe ↓
Recently I had shared the recipe of Pumpkin Paratha. The day I made those, I also made some Pumpkin Pooris for my kids. The dough for making both is almost the same. You need to make the dough a little stiffer. Kids always prefer poori's over paratha.
These pumpkin pooris are softer in texture and ofcourse tastier with all the different spices. If you want the poori's sweeter, add some grated jaggery also while making the dough. If you prefer tangy taste, add some amchoor powder along with the spices. These are just a few options that you can try out. Let me share the recipe of how I made my pooris first.
Recipe for Pumpkin Poori
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Pumpkin Puree - 1 cup (about 200 gms)
- Wheat flour (Atta) - 1.5 cups (about 200 gms)
- Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Carom Seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Water - 1 cup
- Oil - for frying the pooris
- To make these poori's we need Indian red pumpkin, which is actually yellow in colour. Peel the skin and cut into big chunks.
- Cook these in the microwave or in a small vessel with some water for 5 minutes.
- Puree the cooked pumpkin pieces.
- Take the wheat flour, pumpkin puree, salt, red chili powder, cumin powder, carom seeds and garam masala powder in a mixing bowl.
- Make it into a stiff dough. Add little water if required to make a dough.
- Rest the dough for 10 - 15 minutes before making the poori's.
- Take small ball out of the dough and roll into a small poori. You could use a poori press for doing this easily.
- Fry them one by one in hot oil until it puffs up. Enjoy with some nice side dish.
Detailed Steps to make Pumpkin Paratha
Peel, chop and cook the pumpkin till soft.
Make a smooth puree once it cools.
Take this puree with some wheat flour, salt, red chili powder, cumin powder, carom seeds and garam masala powder in a mixing bowl.
Mix everything together and make a stiff dough. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
Take a small balls out of the dough, roll it out into a small poori. Fry them one by one in hot oil.
Serving Pumpkin Poori
- These pooris can be had with just pckle or with channa masala or aloo masala.
More Pumpkin Recipes