(Friday Poha, Quick fix snacks)
- recipe by Monika Garg submitted on 05-01-2012
Here is the recipe for Bread Poha . It is called Friday Poha because it needs ingredients that are just left by the end of the week in your fridge :)
Weekend Again : Grocery is due for renewal !!!!! All that is left in the refrigerator is 3 slices of bread, one carrot, 2 florets of cauliflower etc . But this is all or the like is just enough to make a wonderful breakfast / evening snack in 10 minutes.
Here We Go !
1. Bread slices / Buns - 2 - 3
2. Choice of vegetables ( carrot/ cauliflower/ capsicum/ peas/ Beans/ Potatoes ) - 1 small / medium bowl - Roughly Chopped.
3. Onion - 1/2 - 1 - Sliced
3. Oil - 2 tbs
4. Turmeric Powder - 1 tbs
5. Cumin Seeds / Mustard Seeds - 1 tbs.
6. Salt - 2 tps / to taste
1. Lemon Juice - 2 tbsp
2. Peanuts - 5-7 seeds
3. Papri - boken handful.
1. Take oil in the pan and heat it on medium-high flame. Add turmeric and cumin / mustard seeds to it.
2. When the seeds begin to crackle , add all the vegetables to it. Sprinkle some water on the vegetables ( to aid their cooking ) and add salt. Mix well and cover it. Let the veggies cook for about 2-3 minutes. Salt added here should be able to cover for onions and bread that would added later.
3. Take buns/ bread slices and sprinkle some cold water on them, just enough to make them slightly moist. Please do not soak / wash the slices. Gently break these moist slices into odd sized pieces and spread them on a plate.
4. Once the veggies are partially cooked , add sliced onions to them and sauté contents of the pan and again cover for other 2-3 minutes. Adding onions at this stage would keep their flavour intact as veggies take longer to cook than onions.
5. Once veggies are cooked, turn the heat off. Add bread pieces to them and gently mix everything and cover the pan for 1 more minute. This will synchronize the aroma of the ingredients.
Garnish your dish with coriander leaves / peanuts / papri etc. Friday Poha is ready to be served with tea / coffee !
You may add lemon juice at step 4 to give tangy taste to the dish.