- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Drumstick Leaf Adai)
Drumstick Leaves Adai is a very healthy dish packed with all goodness.The ingredients we use are drumstick leaves and also red rice. Drumstick leaves clears the nostril for asthma patients. If kids don’t prefer drumstick leaves porriyal, moms can make this drumstick leaves adai. The leaves enhance the taste of adai. At the same time, the lentils mask the taste of drumstick leaves making it a divine combination. Red rice is also rich in fibre,Vitamin E, iron and antioxidants.
I first tasted Drumstick Leaves Adai when one of my team mate from Kerala once brought this as her breakfast. I couldn’t resist my tongue and nose after I tasted just 2 pieces of this tasty adai. She was liberal enough to share her recipe of Drumstick Leaf Adai which I present to you here.
Next time when you pass by red rice packets in any departmental store, I m sure you will pick one to try this Drumstick Leaves (Murungai Ilai) Adai.
Recipe For Murangai Illai Adai
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- Raw Rice - 1/2 cup
- Red Boiled Rice - 1/2 cup
- Drumstick Leaves (Murungai ilai) - 1 cup
- Salt - as needed
- Gingelly oil
- Wash and soak the rice for 5-6 hours. Grind it smoothly like dosa batter. Add salt and keep it for 5-6 hours.
- In the meantime, separate the drumstick leaves from the stem. Wash it.
- When you are ready to make adais, add the drumstick leaves (murungai ilai) to the batter and mix well.
- Heat a non stick tava and pour a ladle of batter on the tava. Spread it like dosa. Drizzle one teaspoon oil around the adai.
- When it is done on one side, flip it to cook the other side till you get a crispy adai. Cook on slow flame.
Serving Drumstick Leaves Adai
More Idli, Dosa and Adai Recipes