- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 05-13-2012
(Urilai Kilangu Adai)
Rice - 2 cups
Channa Dal - 1 cup
Masoor Dal - 1.5 cup
Urid Dal - 1/2 cup
Red Chillies - 2
Green Chillies - 2
Black Pepper - 8-10
Black Pepper Powder
Salt - to taste
Curry leaves - few
Potatoes - 2 nos thinly (not very thinly) sliced
1. Wash and soak the rice and the dals for 3-4 hrs aong with the red chilly.
2. Grind to a smooth paste (dosa batter consistency) with other ingredients. I grind the curry leaves along with it. If I put seperately, my family memers do not like it
3. Allow to ferment for 5-6 hours atleast.
4. Place a tava on gas when it becomes hot apply little oil and rub it with half onion to avoid sticking the batter on the tava.
5. Now dip the potato slices in the batter and place it on the tava in a circular form.
6. Adust and arrange the potato pieces and fill the remaining portion with the batter to make a correct circular shape.
7. Sprinkle the black pepper powder on top of it and put one to two teaspoon oil on top of it.
8. When it is cooked, flip the same to cook the other side. Pour one tsp oil again.
9. When cooked from both the sides remove and serve hot with any chutney/lime picke/mango pickle/sweet dahi*.
* sweet dahi (add sugar in dahi and a pinch of elaichi powder and 2-3 saffron boiled in milk also can be added)
We can make with robust raw banana also.
I would suggest to keep the batter little spicy when we are using the vegetables.