- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
Adai is made out of rice, tuvar dal, urid dal, chana dal, curry leaves, red chilli, green chillies and asafoetida. It is a lovely stuff that is quite filling and tasty. It is high in protein and fiber content. If vegetables are added to it, the taste and nutrious value of the adai will increase. I have already shared Vegetable Adai wherein grated vegetables are mixed with the batter. Here is a slightly different way of making Adai with Vegetable.
Yes, today I would like to present my version of Raw Banana Adai. Any type of raw banana like elaichi, robusta, raw plantain etc can be used for this. Kids will enjoy eating this adai.
Recipe For Raw Banana Adai
Preparation time: 4 hours (including soaking time)
Cooking time: 1 hour
- Rice - 2 cups
- Urid Dal - 1/2 cup
- Tuvar Dal - 1/2 cup
- Channa Dal - 1/4 cup
- Red Kashmiri Chillies - 3-4
- Green Chillies - 1-2
- Salt - to taste
- Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Oil - as required
- Wash and soak the rice, dals, red chillies, green chillies for 2-3 hrs.
- Grind the items smoothly adding asafoetida and salt. Cut the curry leaves and mix with it.
- Allow to ferment for 2-3 hrs. Normally for adai, it is coarsely ground. I use a smooth paste like dosa. Also fermenting the batter is optional. I prefer doing it.
- Peel the banana, slice it and put it in water. Wash properly.
- Heat the tava, sprinkle some oil and wipe it with a wet cloth.
- Remove the banana slices one by one, dip it in the adai batter and place it on the tava in a circular shape.
- Once a circle is formed, rest of the parts can be filled with the adai batter.
- Pour little oil and allow it to cook on medium heat.
- Flip it and allow to cook on the other side also by pouring one more spoon of oil. Cook until the raw bananas are cooked soft.
Serving Raw Banana Adai
- Serve the hot raw banana adai with vazhakai chutney, normal coconut chutney, vadu mangai water, jaggery with white butter (home made butter)
- Jaggery and white butter is the best combination. You will love it.
More Adai Recipes