- Submitted by Beryl
I prepare this egg dosa for my kids, as they enjoy eating dosa with egg. It is a quick fix breakfast that can be made for school going kids. They can just roll it and have it within 5 minutes. It doesn't need any sidedish. They will not only enjoy the taste but it also keeps them full for long durations.
Egg Dosai or Muttai Dosai is made by street side thalluvandi shops and small mess run specially for bachelors. College students and working youngsters enjoy eating this for dinner hot from the pan. In fact egg dosa made by these small shops are more popular than the ones made by big restaurants.
Usually egg dosa is prepared using the same batter that is used for making dosa and idli. The only difference between this egg dosa and normal dosa is the addition of egg, salt and pepper (optional) in the egg dosa. I have just shared the recipe of how I prepare my dosa batter below. You can use your own dosa batter and prepare this. Lets see how to prepare this egg dosa
Recipe for Egg Dosa
Preparation Time : 2 minutes
Cooking Time : 5 minutes
Serves : 4
For Dosa Batter
- Urid dhal- 1 cup
- Idli rice- 3 cup
- Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
- Salt- as necessary
- Egg - 1 for each dosa
- Pepper- (optional)- a pinch
- Oil or ghee- 1/2 tsp for each dosa
- Wash and soak the urid dhal, fenugreek seeds and idli rice in two different vessels. Allow it to soak for 4-5 hours.
- Grind the rice, urid dhal and fenugreek seeds in a grinder or mixie. Once it becomes a smooth batter, remove from the grinder and keep in a big vessel in room temperature.
- Allow it to ferment by keeping it in room temperature. In cold places, keep the batter near the kitchen or other hot places. Usually fermenting overnight is suggested in hot places and in cold places give extra time for fermentation (depending on the climate of your place).
- When the batter raises to the top of the vessel, mix it with a spoon properly and add enough salt and water to make batter in a proper consistency for making dosas.
- Now heat a pan on the stove top. When the pan is hot, add few drops of ghee or oil and spread well. Pour one spoonful of batter and spread with the back of the spoon.
- Break open one egg in a separate bowl. Beat it using a fork and pour it on top of the dosa. Alternatively you can break open the egg directly on top of the dosa.
- Sprinkle some salt and black pepper (optional) on top of dosa. Drizzle some ghee (or oil) around the edges of the dosa.
- When the bottom side is cooked properly, flip the dosa and allow it to cook on the top side also.
- Continue the steps from 8 to 12 for making more dosas. Dosa is ready to serve with some chutney or sambar.
- Instead of beating the eggs, you can break open the egg directly on the dosa while cooking.
- Cook it on medium low heat till the egg gets cooked. If you prefer, the dosa can be flipped to cook the other side too.
- In this method, we have the fried egg right in the middle of the dosa.
Serving Egg Dosa
- Muttai Dosai can be folded into quarters and served plain as a quick dosa sandwich.
- It can also be had with chutney or sambar.
- My favorite way is to sprinkle some idli podi or chammamdhi podi over the top and have it as muttai podi dosai. You could also roll it and serve it as a quick dosa wrap.
More Egg Recipes