- Submitted by Dahlia
(Bombay Toast, Baguette Bread Toast with Egg and Milk)
Frech Toast is also known other names like German Toast, Eggy Bread etc. In India, it is known as Bombay Toast or simply Bread Egg Toast which is made with sandwich bread and served as a snack. I have tasted warm french toast with other bread varities during my stay in US. Actually bread toast tastes even better with crusty bread varieties. A day or two old stale bread is perfect for making this dish.
Here I have made the french toast with baguette bread. I love baguette bread and often enjoy it with soups. This time it was lying around for untouched for almost 4 days and it become harder. That's the reason I decided to make french toast. The custard was beautifully absorbed by the bread. When toasted the dish was very tasty. I served it with some maple syrup, some dry fruits and nuts on top. Try making this for a weekend breakfast and enjoy with a cup of orange juice or coffee.
Recipe for French Toast
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Bread Slices - 8-10 (with 1 baguette)
- Eggs - 4
- Milk- 1 cup
- Cinnamon Powder - 1 tsp
- Butter - for toasting (about 1-2 tbsp)
- Take a baguette loaf and cut it into slices.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs with milk and cinnamon powder.
- Heat a skillet or a griddle. Keep the flame on medium low.
- Take 2-3 slices of bread and dip it into the egg-milk mixture. Let the bread soak up the custard on all sides. Take out the slices and hold it for few seconds so that the extra custard drips off.
- Add some butter on the hot skillet. Place the bread slice on it. Cook until the bottom side is toasted. It takes about 2 minutes on each side.
- Flip the bread and toast the other side too.
Detailed Steps to make French Toast
Cut the baguette loaf into slices in an angle.
In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cinnamon powder and milk.
Heat a griddle over medium low heat. Take few slices of bread and dip it into the custard mixture. Let the bread soak up the custard on both sides.
Add some butter on the griddle and arrange the bread slices on it. Cook until the bottom side is browned.
Flip the bread slices and toast the other side also.
Remove it onto a serving plate and serve it warm.
Serving French Toast
- Serve the french toast with some butter on top or with maple syrup and fresh berries.
More Sandwich Recipes