- Submitted by Dahlia
(Coriander Coconut Chutney)
Coconut chutney is one of the basic chutney that is made in all South Indian homes almost every day. It is quite easy to make and pairs well with almost all South Indian breakfast varieties. There are many different variations of coconut chutney, one of which I am going to share today. It is called the Green Coconut Chutney or the Coriander Coconut Chutney.
To make the Green Coconut Chutney we add fresh coriander leaves along with the other ingredients. It not only gives a refreshing aroma and taste but also adds a bright green colour to the chutney. Adding fresh greens to our diet in any form is always advisable. So why not make this variation of chutney often too? Do try it out.
Video Instructions for making Green Coconut Chutney
Recipe for Green Coconut Chutney
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 1 minute (for tempering)
- Grated Coconut (preferably fresh) - 1 cup
- Dalia (Roasted channa dal, pottu kadalai) - 2 to 3 tbsp
- Fresh Coriander Leaves - 1/2 bunch (about 3/4 cup)
- Green Chilies - 3 (or as needed)
- Ginger - 1" piece (blueberry size)
- Salt - as needed
- Oil - 1 tsp (preferably coconut oil)
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp (optional)
- Curry Leaves - 1 strand
- Dry red chilies- 2 (broken)
- Grind all the ingredients under 'For Chutney'. Use little warm drinking water as needed.
- Make the chutney as thick or watery as you prefer. Also adjust the ingredients (salt & chilies) according to your taste.
- Heat oil in a pan, pop the mustard seeds and urad dal. Add the curry leaves and dry red chilies.
- Add this tempering to the chutney. Mix together and serve.
- I like the taste of fresh coriander leaves. So I add half a bunch. If you prefer, you can reduce the qantity to 1/2 cup or less.
- Use warm water while grinding to make a smooth. Use pure drinking water while grinding the chutney as we use it raw.
Serving Green Coconut Chutney
- Serve the coconut chutney with idli, dosa, vada, bajji, rava dosa etc.
- It can also be used as a spread for sandwiches.
Other Chutney Recipes