- submitted by Dahlia
(Moist Egg free Chocolate Cake, Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake)
Jump to recipe ↓
I have already shared before that Chocolate cake is my favorite one. So this is one cake I like to make often with different variations. I enjoy it with a drizzle of chocolate syrup.
These days my children also enjoy chocolate cake. So I wanted to try making a healthy variation of this cake. Something which is perfect for them to eat as snack any time and even I can enjoy without any guilt. On experimenting, I ended up with this recipe. It is healthy cake made with whole wheat flour instead of maida and naatu chakkarai (brown sugar) instead of refined sugar. I have also made it without using eggs and butter. Yes, its hard to beleive but its a NO MAIDA, NO EGGS, NO REFINED SUGAR, NO BUTTER cake.
This recipe is simple to make with few ingredients yet yields a super moist chocolate cake. The cake doesn't need any fancy equipments to make and can be made easily with kids. Its a tasty after school snack that they will enjoy. I do not add any frosting to keep it healthy. Instead I add chocolate chips to make it extra chocolatey. Let's look into the recipe.
Recipe for Healthy Chocolate Cake
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Whole Wheat Flour (Atta) - 1 cup
- Cocoa powder (Unsweetened) - 1/3 cup
- Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
- Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
- Pink Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Curd - 1/2 cup
- Brown Sugar (Naatu Chakkarai) - 3/4 cup
- Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Ghee (or Olive oil) - 1/2 cup
- Chocolate Chips - 1/4 cup
- Take a big mixing bowl, take the curd and brown sugar and beat it.
- Add the milk, oil and vanilla extract. Mix together using a wooden spoon or a hand whisk.
- Mix the wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in another bowl.
- Sieve everything together to remove any lumps and incorporate air in the flour.
- Now add this with the wet ingredients little by little. Mix together till you get a smooth batter.
- Mix the chocolate chips with 1 tbsp of wheat flour and mix with the batter.
- Transfer this to a greased 7" baking pan. Top with additional chocolate chips.
- Bake for 45 minutes in an oven preheated to 350 degrees F (180 degree C). (Every oven is different. Keep an eye on the cake after about 35 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the centre to check if the cake is done.)
- Enjoy this moist and delicious cake.
Detailed Steps to make Healthy Eggless Chocolate Cake
In a mixing bowl, take curd and brown sugar. Beat it.
Add milk, oil and vanilla extract. Mix together.
Sieve together the wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the wet mix.
Mix together till you get a smooth batter.
Mix some chocolate chips with 1 tbsp of wheat flour and mix with the batter. Transfer the cake batter to a greased baking pan and top with additional chocolate chips.
Bake for 45 minutes in a 350 degrees F (180 degree C) oven. Insert a toothpick to check if the cake is baked fully.
Enjoy this moist chocolatey cake without any guilt.
More Cake Recipes