- Submitted by Dahlia
(Homemade Red Sauce, Tomato Sauce, Pizza Sauce, Pasta Sauce)
Jump to recipe ↓
Pizza Pasta Sauce is easily found in sper markets these days. Many brands sell this. I have bought the store bought sauce during my initial days of cooking. Once I figured out how easy it was to prepare our own pizza sauce from scratch, I just stopped buying those.
It takes hardly 20 minutes to make a big batch of sauce at home. You just need fresh tomatoes, garlic, some herbs and spices. Basically, you just blend everything and let it simmer. The good thing is that you can adjust the herbs and spices according to your taste, which I couldn't with the jarred ones. Whenever I make Pizza, I just make this sauce fresh. I also make a little extra and refrigerate to be used with pasta over the week. So here is how I prepare my Red Tomato Sauce that can be used for Pizza and Pasta.
Recipe for Homemade Pizza Sauce
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Serves : 8-10
- Tomatoes - 4 or 5
- Tomato sauce - 1/2 cup
- Red Chilli sauce/ Chilli flakes - 1 tbsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 1 clove (minced)
- Oregano - 1/2 tsp
- Basil - 1/2 tsp
- Freshly ground peppercons - 1/4 tsp
- Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
- You can use a 6 oz can of tomato puree and make the sauce. I like to make from fresh tomatoes. Make a cut in one end of the tomato and add it to boiling water. After just a minute, the skin will come out easily.
- Peel the tomato skin and blend it to a coarse puree. You can make a puree without peeling the skin too. Its just personal preference.
- Take this puree in a sauce pan with the other ingredients. Add an additional 1/4 cup water if the sauce is thick.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the flame and simmer for 15 minutes. Your aromatic pizza sauce is ready.
Detailed Steps to make Pizza Sauce
Take 4-5 fresh tomatoes. Make a x-cut in the bottom of each tomato.
Add them to boiling water for just a minute and take out.
Now the skin can be peeled easily. This step is optional. Sometimes I also puree the tomatoes without blanching and peeling the skin.
Blend the tomatoes to a coarse puree. I like to have some tomato bits. If you prefer a smooth sauce, blend it smoothly.
Take this puree in a sauce pan along with the other ingredients. Add an additional 1/4 cup water if the sauce is thick.
Add 1/4 cup water if the sauce is thick. Bring to a boil.
Reduce the flame and simmer for 15 minutes. Partly cover with a lid to prevent splattering.
Tasty pizza sauce is ready. It is in a perfect thick consistency to spread.
Serving Pizza/ Pasta Sauce
- This sauce is thick enough to be spread in a pizza.
- To use the same sauce for pasta, thin it a little with about 1/4 cup of pasta cooking water. It will a perfect consistency to toss boiled pasta.
More Sauce Recipes