- Submitted by Dahlia
Kala Jamun is an exotic sweet dish served during special occasions. The method of preparation is quite similar to Gulab Jamun recipe except for the frying part. These jamun balls are fried longer until it gets a deep dark color. Somehow the black color is so attractive and gives a rich look. To achieve this color, one option is to double fry the balls. First it is fried in low heat to cook the jamun balls through. They are then added to oil at a higher heat to get a darker color on the outside. Other option is to add some sugar while preparing the dough which will caramelize as soon as it is added to the hot oil.
In sweet shops it is common to find kala jamun stuffed with shopped pistachios or almonds. It gives a good contrast in texture while eating. I have made it in a simple way without any filling. I just fried it a little longer to get the desired black (kala) colored jamun balls.
For making the balls themselves, you can use ready made gulab jamun mix of any good brand. If not make it from scratch using khoya. So here goes the recipe.
Recipe For Kala Jamun
Preparation Time : 20 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 4
- Khoya (unsweetened) -1 cup
- All purpose flour (maida) - 1/4 cup
- Baking Soda - a pinch
- Oil - for deep frying
- Sugar - 1.5 cups
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Cardamom - 2-3 (crushed)
- Rose water - 2 tsp
Preparing the Sugar Syrup
- Take sugar and water in a vessel. Bring it to boil over medium heat.
- Boil until the syrup becomes syrupy. Add few drops of lemon juice to prevent it from crystalization.
- Add crushed cardamom, rose water and switch off.
Preparing the Dough
- Take khoya that is made at home or store bought. Mix with your hand to crumble it.
- Mix maida and baking soda.
- Add just 1 tbsp of milk and knead to form a smooth dough. Add 1 or 2 tsp of water or milk if needed. Since the khoys is moist it doesn't require much liquid to form a dough.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes before making the balls.Keep it covered to prevent it from drying.
Preparing Kala Jamun
- Divide the dough into small equal parts and roll it into smooth balls. Roll it between your palm to make it smooth without any cracks.
- Nexr heat oil in a kadai, When it is hot enough, reduce the flame to medium low. Only then the jamun balls will be cooked uniformly.
- Add few balls at a time. Keep stirring the oil using a slotted spoon so that the balls get a uniformly on all sides.
- Fry it until it turns into a darker shade, almost like black.
- Remove the jamuns and place it in a paper towel for 2-3 minutes to cool a bit and remove excess oil.
- After that add it into the warm sugar syrup. If the sugar syrup cools, warm it a bit. Let it soak for about 45 minutes before serving.
Serving Kala Jamun
- Serve these chewy soft balls with the syrup as such or serve in the next two ways.
- After getting soaked, remove the balls from rhe syrup, garnish with chopped pistachios and serve. Other option is to roll the balls in dry coconut powder and serve.
- While making the balls, some chopped pistachios and almonds can be stuffed inside. It adds a nice combination of flavours.
More Snacks Recipes