- Submitted by Dahlia
(Mumbai Street Food, Masala Bread, Bread Chaat)
Masala Pav is a classic Mumbai street food. Its amazing, how road side vendors have invented some of the tastiest dishes. If you are not familiar with the famous Mumbai street food, you are missing out. I've already shared quite a few chaat varieties and will be sharing many more in future.
Coming to today's recipe, as the name Masala Pav indicates, these are soft Pav buns loaded with spicy masala. It is then toasted with some butter to make it extra delicious. You are sure to keep licking your fingers. It makes a great evening snack, a tasty dinner or a weekend brunch.
This is so simple to put together that you don't have to rely on the street vendors anymore. Making at home is so much more hygienic right!!
Recipe For Masala Pav
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 2
- Pav Buns - 4
- Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
- Tomatoes - 2 (finely chopped)
- Garlic Cloves - 2
- Capsicum (Green Bell Pepper) - 1
- Pav Bhaji Masala - 2-3 tsp
- Kashmiri Chili Powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves (Cilantro) - 4-5 stems (finely chopped)
- Lemon Juice - few drops
- Salt - to taste
- Butter - 3 tbsp
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter in a wide pan. Add the finely chopped onion and garlic.
- Once the onions become soft, add the chopped tomatoes. Cook till it is all mashed up.
- Add the capsicum pieces, salt, kashmiri chili powder and pav bhaji masala.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of water and cook for few minutes till a tasty masala is ready.
- Add few drops of lemon juice to adjust to your taste. Also mix in the coriander leaves and switch off.
- Slice the pav buns. Apply a generous amount of the masala on the inside of the sliced buns.
- Heat a skilled, and spread 1 tbsp of butter all around. Place the buns with the masala side facing the top.
- After one side is toasted, add a tiny dollop of butter on top of the masala on each bun. The juices from the masala would have seeped inside the soft buns.
- Gently flip the buns and toast the other side. This gives a nice roasted effect to the masala making it even more delicious.
- Switch off and serve immediately.
- Take a couple of the buns on a serving plate. Top it with some additional masala and some lemon wedges.
More Finger Food Recipes