- Submitted by Dahlia
(Mirchi Bhaji, Mirchi ka Bhajia, Mirchi Bhaje, Mirchi Bhajia, Chili Cutlet, Chili Fritter)
Mirchi Bada or Mirchi Vada is a popular snack from the state of Rajasthan. It is also commonly found throughout North India. In South India, milagai bajji is made without the stuffing.
In this, big varieties of chilies are stuffed with a potato mixture, dipped in a batter made with gram flour and deep fried. Those who have already tasted it will know that the very thought of it will make your mouth water. Though it is a snack, it is quite heavy and filling. It is sometimes served as a sandwich with bread to make a complete meal.
Recipe For Mirchi Bada Vada
- Large Green Chilies – 5 or 6 (You can use any big variety of chili like banana peppers, jalapeno peppers etc.)
- Oil – to deep fry
For The Filling
- Potatoes – 2
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Amchoor Powder – ¼ tsp (or use 1 tsp of lemon juice)
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp (optional)
- Coriander Leaves (Cilantro) – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Cumin Seeds – ¼ tsp
For The Batter
- Gram Flour (Chikpea flour or Besan) – 1 cup
- Corn Flour (or rice flour) – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking (or cooking) Soda – a pinch
- Asafoetida – 2 pinches
- Water – as needed (approx.. 1/2 cup)
- Wash the chilies, make a slit vertically and keep it aside.
- Boil the potatoes, peel it and mash it.
- Mix all the other ingredients for filling with it. Keep the stuffing aside.
- Now to make the batter, mix all the dry ingredients – gram flour, salt, red chili powder and baking powder.
- Gradually add the water with constant whisking to make a thick but smooth and lump free batter.
- Now keep oil for heating up while you fill the chilies.
- Take each chili and put sufficient amount of the potato mix inside.
- Dip each stuffed chilies into the batter so that the batter coats all around the chili. Use the stem of the chili to hold it.
- Drop it carefully into the medium hot oil. Fry till it turns golden brown on all sides.
- Remove the vadas onto a paper towel to soak the excess oil. Serve hot.
- Serve these vadas hot as a snack with some tomato ketchup, green chutney or tamarind chutney.
- You can serve it between two toasted bread slices as a sandwich too.
More Appetizers & Finger Food