- Submitted by Dahlia
(Vengaya Thayir Pachadi)
Jump to recipe ↓
When we think of accompaniments or a side dish to a spicy biryani or a steaming hot parathas, what is the first dish that comes in our mind? Yes it is the raita or thayir pachadi in Tamil. One of the easiest and simplest raita that we can make with the most minimal ingredients is Onion Raita. All we need is rich creamy curd and some finely chopped onions either as slices or small pieces. Onion raita is not only tasty or easy to prepare, it is also very nutritive for our diet. Curd, as we all know is a great probiotic, having all the essential and good bacteria improves the digestion and provides strength to bones and teeth. Consumption of curd also increases the overall immunity of our body and improves our skin health. The nutrients present in onion reduce inflammation and lowers the cholesterol and sugar in blood. This recipe overall gives all the necessary reasons to try and relish with your family. Cheers!!
Recipe For Onion Raita
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: NIL
- Curd - 1 cup (You can use home made curd or store bought plain yogurt)
- Onion - 2 (finely chopped or thinly sliced)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Finely chopped cilantro (coriander leaves) - 1-2 tsp
- Black Salt - to taste
- Roasted cumin powder - a pinch
- Pepper powder - a pinch
- Red Chilly powder - a pinch
- Sugar - a pinch
- Remove the skin of the onion and chop it. You can thinly slice it or chop it finely.
- Take the yogurt in a mixing bowl and beat it until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Mix in the chopped onion along with salt and coriander leaves.
- Add the seasoning ingredients as per your taste.
- Mix it well and serve.
- All the ingredients under 'Seasoning' can be added according to individual taste. You can skip or add depending on your personal preference. In my place, we prefer to add the seasoning when I make onion raita for parathas. However when I make raita for biryani, I prefer to keep it plain with just a little salt.
- For people who do not like raw onions, sauté the onion pieces in a teaspoon of oil. Sauté it for a minute or two, else it would turn very soft.
- For better taste use only fresh curd. If you are packing it for lunch box for school or office, add a spoon of milk so that the raita does not turn sour.
More Raita Recipes