- recipe by Dahlia submitted on 28th March 2013
Orange Peels - 1 cup (cut into small pieces)
Tamarind - Lemon sized (soaked in water)
Kulambu Milagai Tool/Sambhar Powder - 1 tblsp
Jaggery - 2 tblsp (powdered)
Salt - as required
Oil - 3 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Fenugreek (Methi) seeds - 1/4 tsp
Dry red Chillies/Green Chillies - 2
Curry Leaves - 1 spring
1. Heat oil in a kadai and crackle the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, red chillies and curry leaves.
2. Add the orange peels and saute it for few minutes.
3. Add the sambhar powder and fry for a minute.
4. Next add the tamarind water, powdered jaggery and required salt.
5. Let the gravy boil. Lower the heat and cook till the gravy turns syrupy and thick.
6. Switch off. Serve with curd rice or with white rice and some curry.
You can also make it as a sweet orange peel chutney and use as a dip.