- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
Recipe For Orange Peel Sweet Chutney
- 8 nos Seedless dates
- Orange peel of one orange
- Tamarind - lemon sized ball
- 1 Green chilli
- 1 Small piece of ginger (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves
- Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder (as per your requirement)
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 3 tbsp Grated jaggery (increase according to your taste)
- 5 tbs Oil
- Soak the dates and tamarind separately in water.
- Squeeze the tamarind pulp and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a kadai and saute the orange peel till it is soft. Keep aside
- Heat the remaining oil in the kadai and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add the chopped green chilly, ginger, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Then add the tamarind pulp. In the meantime grind the sauteed orange peel and dates to a smooth paste.
- Add this to the tamarind pulp. Add salt, jaggery, turmeric powder and boil till you get a thick consistency like the puli inji. If you want little watery, you can remove the same at that stage.
- You can serve this with curd rice or dal rice.
- You can also use as a spread for bread, chapati etc.
You have to develop a taste for this as it may not be liked by everyone. Hence try with little quantity.
You can also make orange peel pachadi or spicy orange peel thuvayal.