- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 28th March 2013
8 nos Seedless dates
Orange peel of one orange
Tamarind - lemon sized ball
1 Green chilli
1 Small piece of ginger (finely choppoed)
1 tsp Chilli powder (as per your requirement)
1 tsp Mustard seeds
3 tbsp Grated jaggery (increase according to your taste)
5 tbs Oil
1. Soak the dates and tamarind separately in water.
2. Squeeze the tamarind pulp and keep aside.
3. Heat 2 tsp oil in a kadai and saute the orange peel till it is soft. Keep aside
4. Heat the remaining oil in the kadai and add mustard seeds.
5. When it splutters, add the chopped green chilly, ginger, curry leaves and asafoetida.
6. Then add the tamarind pulp. In the meantime grind the sauted orange peel and dates to a smooth paste.
7. Add this to the tamarind pulp. Add salt, jaggery, turmeric powder and boil till you get a thick consistency like the puli inji. If you want little watery, you can remove the same at that stage.
- You can serve this with curd rice or dal rice.
- You can also use as a spread for bread, chapati etc.
You have to develop a taste for this as it may not be liked by everyone. Hence try with little quantity.
You can also make orange peel pachadi or spicy orange peel thuvayal.