- Submitted by Beryl
Spinach is very nutritious green leafy vegetable available in almost all vegetable shops. When spinach is combined with dhal, it makes a complete healthy vegetarian curry. This dal is made in most north indian states. A similar dish is prepared in south india with a touch of coconut.
Recipe for Dal Palak
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Spinach - about 2 cups
- Moong Dhal - 1.5 cup
- Onion - 2 big (or 10 Shallots)
- Tomato - 2 big
- Ginger garlic paste - 1.5 tsp
- Green chilies - 3-5
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Sunflower oil - 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 10
- Dry red chilies - 3
- Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - as necessary
- Wash and cook the dal in pressure cooker for about 4 whistles. Remove from the stove and keep it aside till all pressure is released.
- Chop the spinach, tomatoes, green chilies and onion into small pieces. If you are using baby spinach, you can leave it whole.
- In a pan, heat sunflower oil. When it gets heated add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chilies and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion and green chilies. Saute for couple of minutes.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and salt. Stir well till the raw smell of ginger and garlic disappears.
- When the onion becomes transparent, add tomatoes and stir. Now add turmeric powder, asafoetida, red chili powder and garam masala powder.
- Stir well and now add the chopped spinach. Mix everything properly so that the masala gets mixed with the spinach.
- Add enough water and dal from pressure cooker. Mix everything properly, check for salt and spiciness. Adjust them according to your taste.
- Add sufficient water and bring it to boil. Cook for about 5 minutes and switch off. The spinach dal curry is ready
- Toor dal or Masoor dal can also be used to prepare this recipe.
- Instead of sunflower oil, you can use any cooking oil of your preference.
Serving Spinach Dal
- This curry can be served with rice or chappati.
- Adding 2 tsp ghee at the end enhances the taste of the dal.
More Spinach Recipes