- Submitted by Inara
(Dry Aloo and Palak Sabzi, Potato & Spinach Sabzi)
The combination of Potatoes and Spinach is a classic one made in Punjab and other North Indian states. Potato Spinach Curry, commonly known as Aloo Palak Sabzi is made in several different ways. The addition of potatoes made eating spinach so delectable. Some people make it by pureeing spinach leaves and cooking boiled poatoes with it. Others make it with chopped spinach leaves, just like I have done below.
This dish is quite simple to prepare with minimal ingredients. Any dish prepared with potatoes makes an excellent combination with all Indian roti varieties. It also goes well with curd roce, lemon rice or tomato rice. Most kids love potatoes and would not mind eating vegetables combined with it. Do try making Aloo Palak at home and share your comments.
Recipe For Aloo Palak Sabzi
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Potatoes - 2 (cut into cubes)
- Onion - 1 medium (diced)
- Tomato - 1 medium (diced)
- Spinach - 1 bunch medium (about 3-4 cups chopped)
- Ginger paste - 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder - ½ tsp
- Red chili powder - as needed (1-2 tsp)
- Coriander powder - ½ tsp
- Turmeric (haldi) powder - ¼ tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Pick, wash and cut the spinach (palak) leaves and keep aside.
- Boil the potatoes, peel the skin, cut into cubes and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and pop some cumin seeds. Add onions and sauté until it turns pink.
- Add the ginger paste and turmeric powder. Fry for a minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and fry well till it gets all mashed up. Now add all the masalas and mix well.
- Add potatoes and salt. Toss gently for few minutes until everything blends well.
- Add the chopped palak leaves and mix. Cook on medium flame for around 15 minutes. It is ready to serve.
Detailed Steps for Aloo Palak
Heat oil in a pan and pop some cumin seeds.
Add onions and sauté until it turns pink.
Add the ginger paste and turmeric powder. Fry for a minute.
Add the diced tomatoes and add all the masalas. Mix well and cook for few minutes.
Add potatoes and fry for few minutes. Toss carefully until everything blends well.
Add the chopped palak leaves and mix.
Cook on medium flame for around 15 minutes. It is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with chapatti, naan, pulka, puri or rice and dal.
More Spinach Recipes
More Potato Recipes