- Submitted by Rani
(Palak Gosht, Spinach Chicken, Murgh Sagwala, Chicken Sagwala, Murgh Palak)
Palak Chicken or Spinach Chicken is one of the healthiest yet tastiest chicken curry. It is a dark green gravy loaded with pureed spinach leaves. This curry goes excellently well with naan, rotis or plain jeera rice.
I personally like to include vegetables in all possible ways in my meals. Rather than serving greens in a boring way, I find it interesting when combined with some non-veg. It makes it taste so much better. Kids will eat it without any fuss. One such recipe is this Palak Murgh. This dish is sometimes referred to as Chicken Saagwala in restaurant menu cards.
Recipe For Palak Chicken
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Chicken Breast - 1 lbs (about 1/2 kg cut into desired pieces) Note: If you prefer chicken with bones, please use that.
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Garam masala - 1 tbsp
- Roasted Cumin Powder -1 tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Yogurt - 4 tbsp
- Ginger Garlic Green Chilly paste - 1 tbsp
- Fresh Spinach (Palak) - 1/2 packet or 1 bunch fresh
- Green Chilly - 2
- Salt - 1/2 tbsp
- Big Onion -1 (finely chopped)
- Raw Tomato -1 (finely chopped)
- Nutmeg Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Oil/Butter- 2 tbsp
- Mix all the ingredients from batch -1 and let it rest for 1/2 hour. The chicken will be well marinated.
- Wash the spinach leaves and microwave Batch -2 in little water for 2-3 minutes. You can even blanch the spinach with some water in a pan. Allow it to cool.
- Heat oil or butter in a deep vessel and saute onions until golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and saute until it comes as a gravy.
- Now add the Batch-1 marinated chicken into the pan and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add little water.and let it boil until the chicken is cooked.
- Now grind the cooked spinach in the blender by adding little water to get a smooth paste.
- Add the spinach paste and nutmeg powder into the chicken pan.Let it cook for 5 more minutes until oil seperates from the gravy.
- Now garnish with fresh coriander leaves or 1-2 tbsp of fresh cream and switch off. Palak chicken is ready to be served.
- Serve the palak chicken with hot chapattis, garlic naan, parrota, jeera rice or any pulao varieties.
- For extra richness, add a tbsp of butter and 2 tbsp of heavy cream to the gravy at the very end.
- Using the same recipe, you could also make mutton sagwala (palak mutton).
More Chicken Recipes