- Submitted by Dahlia
(Kezhvaragu Pizza, Nachni Pizza, Finger Millet Pizza)
Jump to recipe ↓
Who doesn't like Pizza? Especially children and college students are crazy about this. It is the freshly baked base, with the tangy pizza sauce, gooey cheese and toppings that makes it an unbeatable combo. Most Indians do not make pizza at home. They end up at fast food joints making pizza one of the unhealthiest food options that parents worry about.
Well, making pizza at home is not at all difficult. I have already shared my Homemade Pizza recipe from scratch. I have also shared a healthy Spinach pizza using frozen naan. Today I want to share another healthier variation that I make often. It is a Pizza made with Ragi base.
Ragi is known as the king of all grains due to its health benefits. It is difficult to make kids eat Ragi due to its colour. Ragi Pizza is an excellent recipe to try. When made as a Pizza, kids won't even feel bad about eating Ragi. Parents will be satisfied too.
The only problem with Ragi flour is that it is gluten free. You have to knead it for some time to activate the gluten in it. Otherwise it will start breaking. I have added wheat flour to make this task easier. You can make this as a Gluten Free Pizza by making it fully with Ragi flour. Just knead a little longer. Whatever be the case, be sure to give this a try.
Recipe For Ragi Pizza
Preparation time: 40 minutes (and 2 hours of proofing time)
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Pizza Sauce - as required (See recipe)
- Toppings - as required (I have used chicken pepperoni. You can se colourful bell peppers, onion slices, mushrooms, sweetcorn, pineapple, spinach etc.)
- Shredded Cheese (I use a blend of cheddar and mozzarella cheese) - as required (I used about 400 gms)
For Pizza Dough (For 2 medium sized pizza)
- Ragi - 1.5 cups
- Whole Wheat Flour - 1.5 cups
- Luke Warm Water - 1.5 cup (a little more may be needed)
- Yeast - 1 tbsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1.5 tsp
- Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
To Make Pizza Dough
- Mix the yeast with 1.5 cup of lukewarm water and sugar. Keep it aside for 5 minutes to activate the yeast.
- Sieve together the ragi flour, whole wheat flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Add oil and activated yeast water. Mix everything together.
- Knead it for 5-10 minutes to activate the gluten. Add some water if needed.
- Initially the dough will be sticky but after 5 minutes, it become soft and pliable.
- Cover and let it stay on the counter top for at least 2 hours. The dough should double in size.
To make pizza
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F (200 degrees C).
- After the pizza dough doubles in volume, divide it into 2 equal parts. You can make two 9" pizzas with this. If you make it smaller, you can make 3.
- Take one part and press with fingers in the baking pan. If you do not have an oven, do this on a griddle.
- Press the pizza base to medium thickness as it will puff up while baking.
- Spread few drops of olive oil on the base to prevent the sauce from making it soggy.
- Prick the base with fork at random places to cook uniformly.
- Spread generously with pizza sauce. I have used my homemade pizza sauce.
- Put lots of shredded cheese on this.
- Put your favourite toppings. I have used chicken pepperoni, pickled jalapenos and black olives.
- Bake it for 20 minutes until the cheese melts and the base is cooked. Have it hot.
Detailed Steps to make Ragi Pizza
Mix the yeast with 1.5 cup of lukewarm water and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Keep it aside for 5 minutes to activate the yeast.
Add oil to this.
Sieve together the ragi flour, whole wheat flour and salt into the same bowl.
Mix everything together. Knead it for 5-10 minutes to activate the gluten. Add some water if needed.
Initially the dough will be sticky but after 5 minutes, it become soft and pliable.
Keep it covered on the counter top for at least 2 hours. The dough should double in size.
After 2-3 hours, the dough doubles in volume. It is ready to be baked now. Preheat the oven to 400 degree F (200 degrees C).
Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. I made two pizzas with this.
Take one part and press with fingers in the baking pan.
Prick the base with fork at random paces and spread few drops of olive oil. Next put a generous amount of pizza sauce.
Spread the sauce evenly. I have used my homemade pizza sauce.
Put lots of shredded cheese on this.Put your favourite toppings. I have used chicken pepperoni, pickled jalapenos and black olives.
Bake it for 20 minutes until the cheese melts and the base is cooked.
Have it hot for the best taste.
Serving Ragi Pizza
- As with regular pizza, sprinkle some oregano and red chili flakes on top and enjoy.
More Ragi Recipes