- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Vazhakkai Halva, Kacche Kele ka Halwa, Yethakkai Halwa)
Halwa with raw banana is not a commonly made one. However there are enough reasons to try it out. The halwa tastes delicious. Also, raw banana is a good source of potassium and vitamins like A and C. Potassium helps reduce risk of blood pressure and is also beneficial for our brains and kidneys. It is high in carbohydrates and thus an energy booster. It is also high in dietary fiber. Overall, its an interesting recipe that you can try out instead of making the usual Halwas.
Recipe for Raw Banana Halwa
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes(30 mts pressure cooker for boiling banana + 30 minutes for halwa)
- Raw banana - 1
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
- Milk - 1/4 cup
- Ghee - 4 tbsp
- Semolina(suji, rava) - 1 tbsp
- Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
- Fried cashew, almonds & charoli - as required
- Saffron - few strands
- Food colour - 3-4 drops (optional)
- Boil the banana, remove the skin and mash. One banana usually yields one cup of pulp.
- In a pan, add the ghee, when it becomes hot fry the cashew/almonds and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the rava and roast it,
- When it becomes brown, add the banana pulp and saute for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the sugar, milk, coconut and stir well.
- Keep stirring and cooking till it leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add the fried almonds, cashew and cardamom powder.
- Remove from the gas, transfer it into a bowl and garnish with Charoli.
- I did not use food colour
- This halwa can be made with jaggery also instead of sugar.