- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Upwas na cutlet, Vrat wale tikki, Navratri special fasting recipes, Raw banana Yam Cutlet)
Since I am deprived of eating potatoes, I always try to make something as an alternate to potato which is healthy too. Here is a great alternative cutlets which is traditionally made with potatoes. This healthy cutlet is made with raw banana and yam. This recipe is perfect to have during the fasting days.
Recipe For Upvas Cutlet
Cooking Time : 1 hour
Serves : 3
- Raw Banana - 1
- Yam - 1/4 kg
- Ginger green chilly paste - 1 tsp
- (Add garlic on non fasting days)
- Shingade ka atta (Water chestnut Flour) - 100 gms
- Coriander leaves - handful (chopped)
- Sendha namak (Fasting salt) - to taste
- Sooji( Rava) - for coating (You can use bread crumbs on non fasting days)
- Oil - to fry
- Cut both the ends of banana.
- Peel the skin of the suran (yam) and cut it into one inch pieces.
- Steam cook the yam and raw banana until soft.
- Remove the skin of banana and mash it. Also mash the yam and mix both together.
- Add sentha namak, shingade ka atta, chopped coriander, green ginger paste and make a soft dough.
- Make small balls out of the dough.
- Flatten the same like patties and coat with sooji.
- Heat a non stick tava and drizzle some oil.
- Place the shaped cutlets on to it.
- Apply little oil and cook both the sides till it turns brown.
- Serve hot with chutney. On non fasting (vrat) days you can have it with sauce too.
Other Navaratri Recipes