- Submitted by Beryl
(Sautéed Snow Peas)
Snow peas leaves are rarely found in some vegetable shops here in Australia. This snow peas grows well only in cold climates, and here it grows well in winter seasons. I tried to make poriyal with the leaves and stem of snow peas. The stem has some thread like thing (tamil: naaru), which is difficult to remove. If you know how to remove that, you can go ahead and add stem in the poriyal. If you're not sure how to remove that, you can prepare poriyal using just the leaves. In this page, let's see how to make this poriyal using the leaves of snow peas.
The snow peas leaves poriyal is very tasty and the added urid dhal gives crunchy feeling when you eat them. You can always adjust the quantity of urid dhal as per your taste.
Recipe for Snow Peas Leaves Poriyal
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
- Snow peas leaves - 2 cups
- Sunflower or other cooking oil - 2 to 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urid dhal - 3 to 4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 8
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp (optional)
- Onion - 1
- Green chillies - 2
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder - 3/4 to 1 tsp (optional)
- Desiccated or grated coconut- 1/2 cup
- Salt - as necessary
- Water - just for sprinkling
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Wash the snow peas leaves thoroughly. Chop them into small pieces.
- Chop the onion and green chillies. Keep all the other ingredients ready for cooking.
- Switch on the stove and keep a pan on top of it. When the pan gets heated, pour cooking oil into it.
- When the oil becomes hot enough, put mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds start to splutter, add chopped onions, green chilies and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and stir well till the raw smell goes away.
- Now add snow peas leaves and stir well. Sprinkle bit of water only if it is necessary.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and mix well. While adding red chili powder, check the spice level and add only if necessary, as there is already green chilies in the pan. Add salt.
- When the vegetable is almost done, add grated coconut or desiccated coconut. If you don't have grated coconut, just add coconut pieces, cumin seeds and green chilies in a blender. Make coarse paste and add it to the pan.
- Stir well and check for taste. After 2-3 minutes, switch off the stove. The poriyal is ready to serve with rice.
More Greens Recipes