- Submitted by Beryl
(Sautéed Snow Peas)
Snow peas is commonly found in all vegetable shops. If you get a chance to buy snow peas with not fully developed peas inside, you can try making poriyal or thoran. If the peas are fully matured, then it's not suitable for making poriyal.
Poriyal is a common dish found in Tamilnadu. In Kerala they call it as thoran. In the thoran or poriyal, the vegetable is stir fried using some salt, turmeric powder and green chillies. Usually grated or desiccated coconut is added once the vegetables are cooked well. It is then served with white rice and some curry. I like to make poriyal with any new vegetable that I come across.
While preparing this Snow peas poriyal, you need to wash the pods and remove the thread-like thing on both sides of snow peas (called as naaru in Tamil). You may find it difficult to remove if you are new to cooking. It comes with bit of practice. Snow peas poriyal has light sweetish taste.
I love to add more of urid dhal to all my poriyals, as it gives a good crunchy feeling when I eat it. You may adjust the quantity according to your taste. I also take care not to overcook the vegetables while making poriyal. If the vegetables are over cooked, all the nutrients will be lost. If the vegetable is cooked just right, it will retain its bright green color which looks very attractive. So try not to overcook the vegetables.
Let's see how to make this Snow Peas Poriyal or Snow Peas Thoran.
Recipe for Snow Peas Poriyal
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
- Snow peas - 1 bunch
- Onion -1
- Shallots -10
- Curry leaves -10
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder - 1-2 tsp (optional)
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Green chilies - 2
- Urid dhal - 4 tsp
- Ginger-Garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Desiccated or grated coconut - 1/4 cup
- Wash the snow peas under running water to remove any dirt. Remove the top and bottom portion of snow peas. Remove the thread like thing from both sides.
- Chop the snow peas into small pieces.
- Now cut shallots, onion and green chillies into small pieces. Keep all the ingredients ready for cooking
- Heat oil in a pan. When oil becomes hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Add curry leaves now and stir. Now add urid dhal and allow it to become golden brown colour by stirring in between.
- Add onions, shallots and stir. Add ginger-garlic paste and stir now till the raw smell of garlic and ginger goes away.
- Now add the chopped snow peas and stir. After 1-2 minutes, add salt, turmeric powder, red chilly powder and mix well.
- Allow it to cook by sprinkling some water. Do not add too much water. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes until the vegetable becomes soft.
- When it is cooked, check for salt and add if necessary.
- Now add finely grated coconut or fine desiccated coconut to get the nice aroma of coconut. (Optional- If the grated coconut is not so fine, you can make a coarse paste of that using a blender. In a blender, add few cumin seeds, shallots and coconut and make a coarse paste and add it to the pan containing snow peas. If you have added finely grated or desiccated coconut you can ignore this step. )
- Stir fry for 1 minute till everything blends well and switch off the stove.
More Poriyal Varieties