- Submitted by Beryl
(Roti Calzone, Chapathi Pockets, Spicy Chapati Calzone)
I prepare this Stuffed Chapati as a lunchbox recipe for my husband and kids. It's easy to carry to work place. You need not have to worry about spilling of curry, as in other Indian recipes. It takes about the same time as to prepare rotis with sabzi. It is also recommended for picnics and get-together.
This dish is inspired from the Italian Calzone in which pizza dough is stuffed with meat, cheese, vegetables and eggs. This Indian style Chapati Calzone is made in a similar way. The chapathi dough is stuffed with the prepared filling and then grilled stove top. It can also be baked in the oven. The filling can be prepared with any ingredients of your choice, either veg or non-veg. I have given the stuffing that I prepare often.
These stuffed rotis can be made with chapathi dough, naan dough or pizza dough. Chapathi pockets are the simplest to prepare as we do not have to plan ahead. It is also the healthiest. Try these today and share your comments.
Recipe For Stuffed Chapati
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 45 minutes
Serves : 4
- Mixed vegetables- (potato, carrot, cauliflower, green peas, corn) - 3/4 cup
- Egg - 2 numbers
- Chicken (Cooked and Shredded) - 1 cup
- Black Pepper Powder- 2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp
- Lemon -1
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Sunflower oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Shallots - 3 numbers
- Ginger-Garlic Paste - 1/3 tsp
- Chicken masala - 1/2 tsp
- Wheat flour - 2 cups
- Yoghurt - 3 to 4 tsp
- Oil - 4 tsp
- Salt - as necessary
- Hot water - enough for making dough
Preparing The Stuffing
- Heat a pan and add cooking oil. When the oil becomes hot, add mustard seeds and sauté for a minute.
- Now add shallots, ginger-garlic paste and stir well.
- Add salt, chilly powder, garam masala, pepper powder and chicken masala one by one and stir well.
- Now add mixed vegetables - carrot, green peas, corn, cauliflower and potato and cook well.
- Now add already cooked and shredded boneless chicken pieces and mix well.
- Add the eggs now add stir well. Adjust the salt and pepper powder according to your taste and add lemon juice at the end. Keep it aside.
Preparing the Dough
- In a vessel, bring about 3 cups of water to boil.
- In a wide big vessel, add the wheat flour, oil, yogurt and salt and mix well.
- Now add boiling water to the wheat, little by little. Now press and make a large soft dough. Allow it to rest for about 30 minutes.
Preparing Stuffed Chapati
- Make small balls out of the dough.
- Now using the chapathi maker or a rolling pin, roll each balls into a round chapathi. Sprinkle some dry flour on the chapathi while rolling to prevent them sticking.
- Now add 1 to 2 tsp of the already prepared stuffing into the centre of the chapathi and fold it carefully using the hands, so that the stuffing should not come outside.
- Press the edges with your hand and adjust the edges of chapathi so that the edges stick together and stuffing can remain inside.
- Now heat the pan on the stove top. Put the stuffed chapathi on the pan and wait for some golden brown spots on one side. Cook on low to medium heat. Otherwise, the inside portion of chapathi won't get cooked properly.
- Once some golden brown dots appear on one side, flip it to the other side and wait for the golden brown dots to appear. Turn and heat on all sides carefully and slowly so that it gets well cooked all around.
- The chapathi is ready to serve now.
- Use slow to medium heat to cook this.
- You can also use leftover chicken for preparing this.
- Any cooking oil can be used to prepare this
- Don't add too many stuffing, keep only less quantity or it won't come properly.
Serving Stuffed Chapathi
- These stuffed rotis are so full of flavor that it can be served as such. If you prefer, just have some tomato ketchup or chili sauce on the side.
More Snacks Recipes