- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Mixed Vegetable Curry)
Mix up of all vegetables means you are getting most of the vitamins, minerals,proteins and carbohydrates. Pumpkin is rich in anti oxidants. Pumpkin juice consumed thrice in a day half an hour before meals is good for ulcer and high acidity.
Recipe For Thalakam
Preparation time: 30 - 45 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 5 - 6
Shelf life: a day
- Yellow pumpkin - 1/2 kg
- Raw banana - 1
- Sweet potato - 1 big
- Arbi(Colaciaso) - 3-4 small ones
- Potato - 1 big
- Papdi (Beans) - 4-5
- Brinjal - 2-3 small
- Tamarind pulp - 1 big lemon size
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Jaggery - 1 tsp (optional)
To grind to a paste (Masala)
- Coconut - 1
- White til (sesame seeds) - 2 tsp
- Rice - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 4 tsp
- Red chilli - 10-15 (adjust according to your requirement)
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1-2 twigs
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cut the vegetables into big pieces and cook the same with tamarind pulp, turmeric powder, salt and jaggery.
- Grate the coconut and fry the same till dark brown with 1/2 tsp oil and keep aside.
- In the same kadai, roast the rice, urad dal, red chilli with 1/2 tsp oil. Roast the sesame seed separately.
- Grind the above ingredients of masala to a coarse paste using little water.
- Add the masala to the veggies and boil
- Season with the items mentioned under seasoning
- Serve the hot thalakam with steamed rice or chapati.
More Palakkad Recipes