- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Mung Beans Salad, Moong Dal Sundal, Chundal)
Jump to recipe ↓
Payaru is nothing but the green gram or whole moong bean. Green Gram is rich in fiber and prevents constipation, helps in reducing weight, cholestrol and controls blood pressure. It is also good for hair growth and skin.The antioxidants in payaru helps in preventing skin cancer. It reduces the toxin in our body. I always recommend green gram sprouts in empty stomach for ladies who wants to be on a family way. It works wonders. It is highly recommended in Ayurvedu diet. It is said to prevent anemia, osteoporosis, cancer and heart disease. Phytoestrogens present in green gram regulates hormones after menopause. Phytoestrogens produce collagen and elastin which helps in anti-aging and improves our skin texture. It has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antihypertensive properties. Green gram powder is used as a bath powder for babies. It doesn’t make the skin dry. People who take bath twice a day can go for green gram powder usage once in a day. Green gram powder reduces hair in the face. It is a good natural bleach that removes sun tan and prevents pimples.
After going through these health benefits in green gram, I am sure you will try my payaru sundal recipe and add it in your diet regularly. Green gram comes in two sizes actually - the smaller one and a slightly bigger one. I prefer the small ones which is said to be country side sundal variety. It is very good for people who have ulcer problem. As you cook the green gram just add a cup of water and people who have ulcer can have this water with salt. It forms coating in the stomach which heals ulcer soon.
Payaru sundal is very good for health. Adding grated carrot over the sundal enhances its vishual appeal and nutritious value. Rather than giving junk food, it is a good idea to give sundal varieties as a snack for kids. It is good to have payaru sundal in your week’s menu atleast once. One of my neighbor always uses coconut oil for making any recipe in payaru.For seasoning she uses only coconut oil. Now comes my yummy and healthy Payaru sundal recipe.
Recipe For Pachai Payaru Sundal
Preparation Time : 2 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Serves : 2 - 3
- Green gram (Moong dal, Pachai payaru) - 1/2 cup
- Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- Red chili - 1
- A small piece of ginger
- Green Chili - 1
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urid dal - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Hing (Asafoetida) powder - a pinch
- Pressure cook the green gram with just enough water to submerge it. You can also directly cook over open pot with salt, turmeric powder till it is soft but not mushy.
- Remove excess water if present.
- In a kadai, heat oil, add the mustard seeds, urid dal and dry red chili. When it splutters and the urid dal becomes slightly brown, add the curry leaves and hing powder.
- Mix the boiled green gram in it and saute well to dry up all moisture.
- Crush the grated coconut, green chillli, ginger and cumin seeds in a mixer and add to the above mix.
- Saute for a minute and transfer to a bowl. Your pachi payaru sundal is ready to be served.
Serving Pacha Payaru Sundal
- Serve the pachi payaru or green gram sundal as an evening snack with a cup of tea or as a side dish for rice.
More Green Gram Recipes